Anyone live near Newcastle

BuzzinRich

So do any of you?

I'm currently living near Buckingham / Aylesbury - lost my job about 4 months ago when our company got closed down (long political story) and have been doing contract work since in Oxford - I'm well down the road in negotiations for a senior position at a company in Newcastle (going to talk numbers with them on Monday).  So we've decided to spend the weekend up there prior to this final meeting and get a feel for the place...

So what do people think of Newcastle, where are the best areas to live?  Where are the areas to avoid?

Rich,

I presume we're talking Newcastle upon tyne rather than Newcastle under lyme?

Wayay man?

Presuming so I have a mate who's from there & he reckons alot of the small towns on the outskirts are quite nice now with new developments etc & prices are reasonableish still.

Mark.

Yep, should have been more specific... it is Newcastle upon Tyne... wayay man indeed! :p

We are staying at Durham for the weekend as a base to look around from, I believe that it is very nice there and only 10 miles from offices - prices seem to be a lot cheaper than round Oxford (or Brighton which is my other option).

If I were given the choice I would head north for sure!! I've family all round the north east and I reckon it has to be the best choice.

I live just outside Durham City. It is a great place to live, the villages surrounding the city are linked via some really good country lanes, good Westy country.

House prices have shot up recently but I doubt they are in any way out of reach for a southerner.

typically it is about 250k for a large detatched house

and about 160k for a reasonable semi. If you have 300k+ to spend there are bargains to be had depending on how rural you want to be. I also have a flat for sale if you are interested (a snip at 80k including WSCC discount!;).

If you want to discuss more send me a mail.

Stephen

edited to add: I am not an estate agent!

I also have a flat for sale if you are interested

Thanks for the offer stevo, will be renting initially until I know the areas - everybody I speak to says only positive things about the area so it's looking real promising - just hope I can come to an agreement on the financial side of things with the company on Monday!;)

It's going to be great to move back up North again, I left Manchester 9 years ago and I miss the North - Oxford is fine but it's full of southerners! :laugh:

I may continue letting it! Although I guess you'll be after a house to let, which I could also help out with (3 bed semi with garage)  

If you don't mind revealing, which company is it?

So do any of you?

I'm currently living near Buckingham / Aylesbury - lost my job about 4 months ago when our company got closed down (long political story) and have been doing contract work since in Oxford - I'm well down the road in negotiations for a senior position at a company in Newcastle (going to talk numbers with them on Monday).  So we've decided to spend the weekend up there prior to this final meeting and get a feel for the place...

So what do people think of Newcastle, where are the best areas to live?  Where are the areas to avoid?

I wouldn't.. it's full of Geordies. go to Sunderland its a cleaner place, nicer people, tarmac roads plus they have a better supported football team!! and you will be able to understand what they are talking about.

On the down side you'll also be near Nick Algar!! :p

Anyway, must dash......... :p  :p  :p

Buzz ;)

Although I guess you'll be after a house to let, which I could also help out with (3 bed semi with garage)

That's exactly the kind of thing I will be looking for shortly... you have a collection of properties then?  You a property tycoon or summat? ???:D

If you don't mind revealing, which company is it?

I'd rather wait until it's in the bag as it were, but rest assured I'll let you all know! ;)

go to Sunderland its a cleaner place, nicer people

That would be fine except the company is based in Gateshead/Newcastle :D

That would be fine except the company is based in Gateshead/Newcastle :D

Gateshead is on the Sunderland side of Newcastle and is about 7miles from Sunderland. I don't live any where near either of these places but I do travel there a lot on business. I rely on the 'Mackam Malisha' to get me over the boarder when I visit :p  :D  :p

Whats the name of the company u work for?

Buzz

:cool:

Hope you can drink & brawl otherwise I'm afraid you just won't get accepted......Oh and talking a load of rubbish helps. :oops:

I'll get me cooat :D

I wouldn't.. it's full of Geordies. go to Sunderland its a cleaner place, nicer people, tarmac roads plus they have a better supported football team!! and you will be able to understand what they are talking about.

On the down side you'll also be near Nick Algar!! :p

Anyway, must dash......... :p  :p  :p

Buzz ;)

:durr:  :durr:  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:  :durr:  :durr:

Thanks for the vote of confidence Buzz  :devil:  :devil:

Still at least we've got much better roads than you to Drive on  :D  :D  :D

It's a great place Rich, moved up 20 years ago for a job move, wouldn't go anywhere else now. Your welcome to any of the NE meets.

Cheers

Nick

, wouldn't go anywhere else now.

Cheers

Nick

No one else would have you :devil:

What you doing up at his hour, least I've got an excuse as I am in the Far East where it's 7hrs ahead  :D  :D  :D  and nice and sunny  :D  :D  :D

Don't buy the Ultima, Scott you know it will cost more when you break it  :devil:  :devil:  :devil: