Fuel Pump Blows Fuse

Mitchamidilly

Met a chap at the local club who lives in a village next to mine and has just got his car on the road. I keep saying he should use this site but he does not have regular access to the net.

Anyhow he has a problem with the fuel pump blowing the fuse and we think is may be the pressure regulator.

He has a 1.8l Zetec with twin 40's a Westfield supplied regulator and a Facet high pressure red top pump.

Any ides?

Mitch

P.S. Blatters, I'm now going to do a search but said I would ask so I am  :p

This has happened to me and it was the Red top on its way out! Red top should be mounted in vertical position if possible

My mate's pump is new and although he had not reuled out a faulty pump I thought this to be unlikely and he is sure it has never run dry.

I can't see how this would be due to the pressure regulator. A red top in good condition will run happily at full bore or into a blocked fuel line and neither will worry it (or anything in between).

My guess would be that the interruptor in the pump is sticking on sometimes causing a high current drain. Does he have problems with the pump sticking?

What rating is the pump fuse? Should be 10 amps IIRC.

Other possibility is that cr@p is getting into the pump and jamming it. Maybe worth stripping it and giving it a clean.

Kevin

Yep, has he got a small pre-filter fitted before the fuel pump  ???

Check all the wiring on the pump circuit aswell...

Could be the pump about to peg it as been said before  ???

To check if it is pump about to peg out disconnect it and direct wire it to battery with an in line 10Amp fuse.

If it blows dip hand in piggy bank and buy new one

Terry

Only disconnnect the electrics from loom ,leave fuel pipes on

Thanks Chaps,

It was definately the pump which was bu66ered! A bit of a shame os he missed the area meet on Thursday and next month may be too dark  :(