Weird thing

Numptie

Strange thing ... nuts.gif

At the weekend, I  drove the MegaBlade in the dark for the first time. wobble.gif

At about 8,000 or 9,000 revs, the lights dim and flicker significantly. yikes.gif

I've been thinking about this and can't get my head round how this could possibly be. scratchchin.gif

Any ideas ? confused.gif

I have a feeling someone's about to make a point which causes me to say DOH! idea.gif

Cheers,

N driving.gif

the lights dim and flicker significantly

You've obviously got the shift light set too low, change it to happen at 10,500  ;)  :p  :D

Same as Scruffy. Gut reaction says alternator.

With all things eletctrical though, a good check of all the earths is a half hour well spent... maybe you've got one rattling/resonating loose at those revs...

Unless someones messed with it the earths will be fine - I know ;)

The rectifiers are a weak point although not sure with the symptoms you have. The bike guys cook them regularly so I went to the trouble of fitting an upgraded one to your car and additional 6mm thick ally plate to aid heat sink.

During my 3000 miles in it I never noticed a problem with the lights.

I've got the Bird BEC and had to fit relays into the lights so that side lights come on, then go off and stay off when dipped lights come on.....Dipped main go off and stay off when full beam comes on....this reduces the voltage drain effect the lights have on a bike alternator, and never had a problem seeing in the dark because of it.

HTH.

what size battery have you got and did you know that the alternater doesnt charge below 3000rpm.:0

Who are you asking?

I have the sealed oddysey battery supplied by westfield, can't remember exact figures for it. Mine charges at idle, just have to look at the stack voltage reader.

sorry im asking numptie i think its only the firelade which dont charge below 3000rpm not the firebird

sorry im asking numptie i think its only the firelade which dont charge below 3000rpm not the firebird

Oh OK....and BTW it's Blackbird

numptie have you still got the sti.keep thinking of replacing mine with something rear wheel drive but four seats rear wheel drive and 305 bhp and somthing which is proving hard to find .iseem to be doing more miles in the westy than the scooby i use my van for work

Actually, it's Megabird :p

Actually, it's Megabird :p

Not when we're talking engines. :p