Reverse & Fog Lamp Mounting

deller

As I intend to change the rear lights after the car has passed the SVA I want mount the fog and reverse lamp from the rear chassis member under the body rather the westfield suggested position and drill holes in the body that would need filling once they were removed. Does anyone know of any reason why they would not pass SVA if mounted here?

Westfield suggest that they only mount them in line with the rear lights for asthetic reasons! (although you could question why they chose those lights in the first place)

thanks

Paul

Are fog and reverse lights an SVA requirement? They certainly aren't for MOT's... ???

Fog is required, reverse is not but if fitted it must work.  I found that under the body was too low so mounted it on a bracket level with the bottom.

HTH

Neil

fog lamps are an Mot requirement but this does depend on the year of registration

vehicles first used after 1st april 1980 require a fog lamp to os/centre

There isn't a minimum height requirment I don't think, just a maximum one...But be careful if you mount them to low like others have said you'll loose them, espeically when your car gets put on the brake test machine (which I think they'll do LSD or not as the forces put through it aren't strong enough to damage the diff, so I was told by my tester.)

Thanks for the replies, I thought I would have some problemss with ground clearance but didn't intend driving it for long with them on. Neil, good idea, did your car go through SVA mounted like this?

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I think there is a minimum height for SVA. My notes say:

Rear light SVA Rules --

Fog (1): On centre line or to offside. Minimum 100mm from stop lamp (unless in cluster). Minimum height = 250mm.

I can't remember whether the minimum height is to underside or centre of the lamp.

HTH

David

Just interpreted the SVA manual - the whole illuminating surface has to be within the 250mm minimum limit i.e. the bottom of the light has to be at least 250mm clear of the ground. This should be OK if I just keep the suspension set fairly high until after SVA when it will drop substantially!

thanks everyone..

I hate to worry you, but did you know you fitted the steering wheel to the passenger side?

Damn! Luckily it's not mine. It's DutchWestfield's one. But now that I took another look at mine it's also on the left!!

Neil, good idea, did your car go through SVA mounted like this?

Yes pass with the fog light like that, just make sure that the bracket and light is rounded off.  When you do mount the fog light you need to make sure that it is veritcal

Oi, that's my car at SVA indeed. I used a set of universal reverse and fog lights. No radius issues in this way. A strait bit of ali strip connected the lights to the number plate holder. The holes in the number plate holder dissapeared behing the licence plate.

Note that my SVA tester had driven the car in the break test rollers too far to the left (in the red circle). After fidling around with the brake tester for a while he said that there was a problem with the break balance at the front. I suggested him that he would let me drive the car onto the brake test rollers...   :D  :D  :D