• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Interview

taffy

hi,

I am one of the most interviewed (for jobs) people on the planet.

The latest application has resulted in a email from the "Consultant" saying that, of 120 applications he has narrowed it down to 9.

He wants all candidates to leave a voice mail message on his mobile by Friday of no more than 2mins duration each explaining why each of us think we are suitable for the job. He goes on to say he is using this rather unorthodox method as he is away on hollidays all this week.

Has anybody on the boardroom come across this before?

If you were doing it would you go for 2mins exactly (Easily lead), or over (Windbag) or under (not much to say,too cocky! ).

Would apprecite your comments   ???

Rob

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• taffy

• Mark Stanton

• davidgh

• Peter Cox

I would definitely make it two minutes or under, as he specified. Depending on the job, I personally wouldn't consider someone who couldn't follow such simple instructions and went over!

Andy

Good Luck  :D  :D  ;)  ;)  ;)

Don't try the Yozza Hughes approach  :D  :D  ;)  ;)  :D

Mine was phonetic - for dem wot carn't tawk scouse  :D  :D  :devil:  :D  :devil:  :D  :blush:  :p  :D  :D

Edited cos of having to explain joke  :D  :D  :D  :D  :p  :D  :p

Thats wot i spelded diddly I  :D  :devil:  :D

Rob

A very unusual approach  --  and IMHO unprofessional. But, if you decide you really want to work for a company which treats people like that, give it a go; nothing to lose.

My advice would be 100-110 seconds, very well scripted, and not rushed. Usual format:

--  very brief intro

--  benefits you offer him against requirements advertised

--  why hiring you (rather than one of the other 8) would be a good investment

--  ask for the interview :D

Sorry if I'm teaching granny to suck eggs

HTH

David

Thats a good point - if someone is willing to hire folks by a message left on a phone  :(  :(  :(  then chances are he'll fire you by similar methods  :(  :(  :down:  :(

Its your shout Rob ..................... But in my profession interviews and shortlists aren't prepared out in that manner  :down:  :down:  ;)  ;)

Good Luck anyway "Nothing ventured, nothing gained"  :D  :D

Bear in mind it's the recruitment consultant doing this (that's how I read it) rather than the company themselves...

My experience of recruitment agencies isn't much better I'm afraid.

Andy

Pre-record your 'message' and then playback to his answer machine... could avoid 'err' 'um' 'you know' etc if you trip over your words.

recruitment consultant doing this (that's how I read it)

Parasites, pimps  :D  :D  :D  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:  :D  :devil:  :devil:

IMHO having had the misfortune to encounter one of these types  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  Obviously not wanting to tar everyone with same brush as our luvverly builder types  :D  :D  :D  :devil:  :D  ;)

Agree with recording the message - could save a few vital seconds if you get in a muddle.  I've never ever come across this type of interviewing technique before.  I think the only advice I can give is don't try to cram too much in - otherwise it will be harder for him/her to listen to what you said.  I think being clear, and giving off happy vibes is the way.  If you cram too much in you'll sound desparate to get your point across.  Have you met the person face to face yet ?

Or you could just try this approach - I think you can get the point across quite quickly ;)

'Er ... yes ... hello,  by the way - I have kidnapped your wife, children and family pets.  You either give me the job + 15% increase in salary and a higher company car or I'll be selling their major organs on eBay after they have been removed by less than acceptable surgery techniques in Turkey - so - do I get the job ?'

Or

'Hello my name is taffy...and I know where you live'  (then just proceed to breathe heavy for the next 1:50sec and put the phone down)

(I would advise strongly against the second option - he'll know you are bluffing)