Smell of Petrol

Bananaman

Hi

Does anybody know of a good way of getting rid of the smell of petrol from carpet?

I had a small leakage fron a jerry can in the back of my tow car (also family car :0  :arse: ) & the crpet in the boot now smells, which the Missus is obviously not happy about :angry:

I thought that it would dissapear over time but it's been a month now & sill there. :(

Any ideas?

Andy :zzz:

take the carpet out - its probably got underneath and is not drying out.

Done that yesterday, Missus now mowning(spelling?) that the spare room smells of petrol. :(

rub chicken bhuna sauce in !!   :D  :)      gotta smell better than petrol   :sheep:
Burn it?    :t-up:  :t-up:

Thanks guts, I'd put it to the Missus. :p

Sprinkle bi-carbonate of soda over it.. seems to absorb the smell...

You'll need quite a lot - it depends on how much petrol you spilt!

Cheers...

...©

'Ello!

A completely off the wall guess here but if there are any scientists out there maybe you could tell me if this would work?

Well we all know that petrol evaporates, increasing dramatically with temperature.

So how about hanging the carpet in your bathroom, and running a very hot shower for 20 mins to re-create a sauna. The steam should loosen the Benzene particles and with the heat in the room they should thus evaporate quicker????

:blush:  Um... just a guess... :D  :D

just buy a new one its less hastle. find out if the manufacturer sells a rubber/plastic liner for the boot.I had a densil spill in my bmw so i had to get a new one and also got the liner aswell which has a 2" lip around it incase of spills :t-up:

Get on of those Christmas trees that smells of coconut ('I'm telling you, it's Vanilla';) and hang it in the boot  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:

You won't believe this but it's an old cure for ANY smell including spilt milk.

Place an open container (jam jar, bowl etc) of diesel next to the smell (ideally in a small space - ie in the closed car/ boot) it will take a few days - yes it will smell of diesel whilst it's there but that smell will go in minutes after you have removed the container - BUT DON'T SPILL IT !

Mark