SVA at Shrewsbury

JamesD

Well my induction into Westy ownership looks like it's going to be a hard one, the story goes a little like this...

Monday 23rd June:-

4.45am - (Alarm goes off) Today's the day that has finally come around, 12 months after picking the kit up and a month after filling in the application I had a booking at the SVA test centre in Shrewsbury, it was an early start as the test was at 8am and we needed plenty of time to get there.

4.46am - Shuffle to the window to find that the heavens have opened  :( , still grab a shower and see if it gets any better.

5.45am - Rain stops  :cool:

5.50am - I'm off to Shrewsbury with an 1 1/2hrs to do 60 miles, plenty of time.

7.25am - Arrive in Shrewsbury after quite a pleasent drive, no hiccups whatsoever, try to follow the map I had drawn up the previous night, no luck there  :( . Got my mate to find out where to go on the laptop in his car then preceeded to follow him.

7.55am - We have stopped several times now and my mate still has not got a clue where we are going.

8.00am - I loose all power at a set of traffic lights

8.05am - A friendly policeman helps push the car into a sideing

8.06am - Lift the bonnet to find nothing untoward, turn the key in the ignition again and the engine loom sets on fire

:(

8:10am - Ring SVA to tell them there is not a hope in hell of making it there.

8.30am - Recovery truck arrives, charges £166 to tow me back home (AA membership ran out last week apparently

)

Turns out the loom to the starter motor had been rubbing against the top of the gearbox and had worn through and earthed itself out, it's made quite a mess. My gearbox (MT75) is cable and it's quite a stretch to get the starter motor connections on, would not be so bad if the starter motor was on the other side of the gearbox. I will be attaching the battery feed direct to the battery +ive in future and will lengthen the starter solenoid wire.

Looks like I will be missing out on another month of Summer motoring  :(

P.S. If anyone has some webspace I have pictures !!

P.S. If anyone has some webspace I have pictures !!

Instructions for posting pictures in this thread

Andy

If it's any consolation, I lost all drive on the way to the SVA - in the outside lane of the A1, which was entertaining. Who didn't check the security of the drive shaft bolts then :blush:  :blush:

Still at least the Test Centre were sympathetic (they could hear the traffic thundering by, 6 inches from my ear) and didn't charge me again  :)