Wont start and SVA's looming

Black Shadow

Right I have a 2.1 pinto with lumination electronic ignition, running with twin 45 webbers. The car was running fine the other day then died on me.

I thought it had run out of fuel as I know there was not a lot left in the tank. I toped it up today, double checked that I had good fuel pressure to the carbs (3 bar, normal) still will not start.

I popped out one of the plugs, this was soaking wet so it can't be fuel. tried to see if there was a spark at the plug, no sparks there.

Check the distributor cap, that seems to be fine, then checked to see if the I could get a spark from the coil this appears not to be creating a spark when I run the lead from the coil to earth.

Is the coil knackered or is there something else I should be checking before spending more money ?  ???  ???

I could get a spark from the coil this appears not to be creating a spark when I run the lead from the coil to earth.

I presume you are not putting the coil ht lead direct to earth ?? hold it with a pair of insulated pliers approx 1cm from an earth point to see if you have a spark, if not

Turn ign on and find the postive side of the coil ( best to disconnect the low tension leads as a reverse reading can be given) when you have found the + reconnect to the coil take a scrap of wire and put it on the - side of the coil, ( you need help here or 3 pairs of hands :) ) , hold your ht lead 1cm from earth (block etc) with the other end of the wire from - of coil quickly flick it over the - terminal of battery if you get a spark with this coil ok and prob fault ign amp

Mike

If that doesn't work you can contact the SVA centre directly that you are bboked into and ask them to rearrange your test, there's no fee if you give 48 hours notice and they should be able to agree an new time and date there and then and fairly quickly in my experience. That's worst case scenario of course :D

Thanks for the replies, I'm now laid up for about a week so I guess I'll have to put the test back now until I can get back to work on the car..  :angry:  :angry:

I'll update the post once I get a chance to look at it again.

I need some more help, I have replaced the coil and still have no spark.... :angry:

I have checked that I have a 12v supply to the coil but I'm still not getting anything. I'm now suspecting the lumination electronic ignition.

Anyone know how to test this before I lob out 130 notes....

please help, I want to finish the car and start to enjoy it .... please please..... [begging stops] :(  :(

Any thoughts anyone ?   :D

With the luminition - have you checked the gap?

I have heard that it can be really critical...

(have also heard of some people wiring them up wrong and blowing them... not suggesting anything obviously ;) )

From what I remember (not having luminition) don't they use an external box to amplify etc - is that earthed correctly & all the wiring ok etc? Try smelling it to see if you can smell burning...  I would check all the wiring to that unit from all sources if possible with a multimeter. Not something simple like a fuse is it?

Will.

I have final found the problem.....  :D  :D  :D

I had not earthed the engine to the chassis, since I've added addtional bits i.e. clocks etc it must have weakened the  earth that the engine was getting through varoius points.

So off to get some earth straps made up and problem solved. Now time to get ready for SVA on the 13th.  :oops:  :oops:

I thought it had run out of fuel as I know there was not a lot left in the tank. I toped it up today, double checked that I had good fuel pressure to the carbs (3 bar, normal) still will not start.

I popped out one of the plugs, this was soaking wet so it can't be fuel. tried to see if there was a spark at the plug, no sparks there.

Do you mean 3 bar or 3 psi  ???  3 psi is what you need for carbs  :)  If you have got 3 bar, no wonder the plugs are soaked, you're flooding the engine and like this it'll never start (spark or no spark).

Worzel, Sorry it was 3 PSI, I did get it running last night with a temporary earth connection to the engine proving that this was the problem and not a fuel issue.

Thanks for the suggestion.  :D  :D