Oil Filler Cap Blowing Off!

cidersurfer

Parp!  :p (Just noticed I've managed to put this in Parts for Sale, apologies, oil filler cap is NOTfor sale, but you can have it if you find it).

1700cc Xflow running dry sump system. Westfield Rocker Box cover with oil filler cap (not the blanked off variety).

Recently changed my breathing system so that now I have breather from crankcase to rocker and rocker to dry sump tank, dry sump tank then venting to catch tank.

During house move  :angry: , stresses running high with me and obviously Westy too as she blew the oil filler cap clean out, not immediately noticed, until I notice wisps of smoke from under the bonnet and oil appearing in my footwell (Leon B - Slippy pedals again).  :bangshead:

Very helpful farmer just happened to have a barn full of engines and managed to find Ford oil filler cap to get me going again! Couldn't have been more fortunate.  :D

But why is rocker box running such high pressure?

Is it wrong hose sizings? 13mm ID running from crank to rocker, happened to be fitted when car bought, 10mm ID from rocker to sump tank

Blocked Galleries? Engine flush time... whooaaa there Blatman!

Or, just get the rocker cover which is blanked off and ignore it?

By the way the catch tank is empty on the inside (covered with oil on the outside! ), which was my reason for changing the breathing in the first place. :t-up:

All thoughts gratefully received, off to unpack more bl$£dy boxes for a while.  :arse:

Mmm.

Recently changed my breathing system so that now I have breather from crankcase to rocker and rocker to dry sump tank, dry sump tank then venting to catch tank.

This is usually only required for Xflows that are still wet sumped, as you are running a dry sump system I wouldnt think that it is necessary.

What size is the breather (vent) *out* of the catch tank?

Stu, the vent is 6mm ID. Before I changed the breathing arrangement, it was crankcase to dry sump tank and rocker to catch tank but the catch tank was filling after about 60 miles, hence, the change...

Back to the top...

Any thoughts?

Sorry mate, this seemed to of slipped my 'new posts' search previously...

My thoughts are that you *should* be able to blank the crankcase breather off completely. The rocker box could then be then plumbed into the dry sump tank, and the dry sump tank vented into the catch tank.

The catch tank vent maybe the issue here, as it is 'only' 6mm ID, effectively the restriction in the breathing system. Xflows/older design engines tend to breath heavily (especially when revved hard), and ultimately *all* the breathing is going through that one 6mm hole. My old 1380 Mini used to have three 8mm breathers...

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.