• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

MegaBlade clutch adjustment

Numptie

Hi,

BTW, before I start, recent clutch problems sorted now. Plates were removed / cleaned. Plates and springs measured and within service limits. So it was the use of fully synthetic oil that caused the slipping … I wonder who put that in then … rolleyes.gif

So, everything was working fine ... for a while ...

When I got the car, the clutch was biting close the top of the pedal travel.

I adjusted as far as I could at the clutch end of the cable but it started slipping again at the weekend.

The cable is held by a bracket attached to the clutch cover. Adjustment is by a nut on the threaded termination of the sheath and locked with a nut on the other side of the bracket.

In order to buy some extra length, I've had to remove the adjustment nut.

The clutch is fine now, biting about two thirds up the pedal travel.

I'm conscious though that I'll not be able to adjust any further.

Has anyone had similar and found a fix?

There doesn't seem to be any adjustment facility at the bulkhead end - but I could be wrong.

I don't think I've been very clear, I'll try to take a photo tonight to illustrate what I'm on about.

Cheers,

N driving.gif

ps - I did do a search, honest I did. yes.gif

I've added two metal plates at the pedal end to give me (for my tastes) a good pedal travel/feel.

The plates are 5mm hole centre to hole centre and bolted tight at 90deg to the pedal arm.

is there any adjustment on the peddle end i know  ther was on my accelerator pedal if there is just pull back through from there and readjust your adjustment nuts . while you have the bulkhead coverplate off check you have a throttle stop fitted an it actually works if had the rac out to me twice before i realized:D :D

My car was like this when I bought it, so I purchased a new clutch cable, and it was also the same.

As john said, make a spacer to fit on the firewall, I used a disk of thick 10mm carbon I had lying around, a hole cutter, and dremel, job done in 20 min and no probs since

mb893 / catflap,

Perfect! - thanks.

What I think you're recommending is, basically, a 10mm thick washer at the cable penetration on the engine side of the bulkhead.

Cheers,

N driving.gif

Hold on though ...

... wouldn't that effectively lengthen the outer cable and make the problem worse?

Apologies in advance, I'm a bit hard of thinking this morning silly.gif

Cheers,

N driving.gif

Your spot on with your interpretation mate,

A spacer, on the engine side of the cluch cable (between the white plastic part of the clutch cable and the firewall)

I don’t have some pics, but if you really need them , let me know and ill borrow a digi cam, but John may have some to hand

Remember to cut a slot in the washer (so its almost like the letter C in sted of the letter O… does that make sence? Lol)

Good luck :)  (it dont make it worse :) )

I read it as you wanted to extend the length of the inner cable? This being the case, my method is for you... if you want to effectively shorten the inner, then Catflap's method is the bunny you want:

clutchcablemods.gif

I ended up doing this because my springs where not blade ones and they altered the clutch bite... When I built the car and fitted the supplied cable (using Blade springs) I found (as did Catflap) that the cable was the wrong length and rather than fit spacers and faff around, I returned the cable to the Factory and had a new correct length one made - first class service to  :D

Hope the diags. help.

Hi I did this mod the other day but a lot cruder, I pulled on the cable outer from in the engine bay ( pedal side ) wraped some wire around the gap between the bulk head and white plastic mooulding and tie wraped it all in place, sounds mega crude but works a treat   :D

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

BTW, before I start, recent clutch problems sorted now. Plates were removed / cleaned. Plates and springs measured and within service limits. So it was the use of fully synthetic oil that caused the slipping … I wonder who put that in then … rolleyes.gif

Not me, I used semi synthetic

The mod as mentioned for the engine side of the firewall had been done unless the previous owner has removed it.

Uprated clutch springs were new when the engine went in.