• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Computer Dilema

taffy

Hi Technos,

Does anybody know the answer to this problem?

As part of our (Work) supply agreement with our customer, we have to E Mail over 300 locations once every year.

These E mail addresses have (in the past) been put in manually, and the standard letter attached and sent en mass.

Is there any way I can save these addresses (currently stored in the sent items folder) to a file, so I can retrieve them later this year and then attach and send the new standard letter to them all.

Be good if I can find a solution!

thanks

Rob

Taff, there is a fair chance that I am talking out of my  :arse:  but I'd have thought you should be able to create a distribution list, i.e. somewhere in your email thingy you should have the ability to create individual contacts with their email/phone details etc.  On mine, "contacts" is one of the options down the left hand side along with stuff like mail and calendar.  Add all of your contacts one by one (by using the "add contact" or "new" button), once you have created them all, there might be an option called "distribution list" or similar - in mine, it's under "new" again, where you added the new contacts.  Go into the distribution list, select all of the email addresses from your contacts list, give the list a title, e.g "yearly letter", then save it.  Next year, prepare your email in the usual way, then in the address box, just type "yearly letter" or whatever you called it, and outlook will pick up all your contacts from that list.  

Possibly.

HTH  ??? , Mrs W  :p

If your using Outlook then here's a possible solution.

Go into the sent box to get the list of mails you sent. Right click on the addressee and select "add sender to address book". Do this for all addresses required. You can then go into the address book and create a folder just for the people. Move all the contacts into the new folder and they'll be there for next year. Rather than sending out 300 mails you could send 1 mail to all contacts but put them in the BCC box, this way they won't be able to see who else the mail has been sent to.

I'm pretty sure there is a quicker way to do this - perhaps a via mail merge. Someone with more IT knowledge than me should be along to tell you how shortly :)

Thanks guys,

As the origional Luddite, thanks for the ideas!

Ill try this afternoon.

By the way Mrs Westy Pat has read the Mail, and is on the case. Could be Westy Girl Power! :D

Rob

I used to have to do this.

type them in to a word document separated by a ; and a space. then just cut and paste them in tou your address bar

The only thing to note is that some systems (in an attempt to stop spam) block bulk mailings when there are lots of addresses in the "To" line. :arse:

Mark

And putting all the addresses in the 'To:' line is a good way of annoying customers...I know if I was a customer of yours, I wouldn't want my e-mail address to be broadcast to all your other customers...

Andy

Which is why you put the addressee in the BCC box, which was mentioned ages ago... :bangshead::p:D

I know that...was just pointing it out in response to Mark's post.

Andy

you're just making it easier for him

You both are today! I don't know what's wrong with the pair of you. All I've been doing for the last hour is putting up corrections to your misguided postulations. Why don't you both have a bit of a tea break?

:p:p:p:D:D:D

Some of the techies have just been round giving away Magnums in the belief that I'll say nice things in the appraisals I'm supposed to be doing. It'll probably work...

:suspect:

Hi Guys,

Errr, If I can just but in for a mo! :D

Its all a bit academic now, cos when I went to twiddle with the keyboard I found that some T**ser had deleted the Sent history so killing approx 350 addresses that took our young lady about two days to type!

FWIW the letter was a standard note authorised by HQ, to all DIY stores in a particular chain, advising the individual stores of a forthcoming event.

The firm I work for has had to do this every year. Wasnt till I saw what had been done that I thought about storing the info for next time!

Now I need to know how I can retrieve the deleted addresses, any ideas?

thanks

Rob