Feckin dry sumps!

stu999

With the bottom end finally rebuilt, it was time to fit the Pace/SBD dry sump system.

:angry: Why is there never any mention of all the little niggly things that slow the whole process down, and serve only to pi55 you off?  :arse:

OK, I was warned that I might need to replace the front pulley. However, even though the instructions state the using the standard 'vee' pulley is not recommended due to the risk of the belt being thrown off, that didnt deter a cheap skate like myself, and had the PAS pulley machined off. Jobs a goodun-or so I thought...

But first, the sump. I carefully fitted the rubber seal, and applied sealant where required. Dropped sump onto the block, dropped some Loctite on said bolts, and screwed in a couple of bolts, only to find that the standard bolts bottom out in the block before clamping the sump...  :suspect:

Then, I tried to fit the the dry sump pump, only to find that it fouled on a lug on the block casting. Out with the hacksaw...

Refitted pump. Still not entirely sure how belt tension is adjusted, because even though the pump has an elongated slot in the one fixing hole to allow it to move, affixed on the same plane is the rear support bracket, which has no provision for movement... ???

Now on to the pipes from the sump to the pump. The one from the back of the sump lines up without issue, but the front pickup from the scavenge pump is way out. In fact it points to the lug on the sump casting...  :(  

So finally, when I couldnt finish the above, I decided to look at the front of the engine, to see if the standard timing belt cover can be utilised-at this stage I wasnt holding that much hope! Trial fitted timing cover back plate- seems to clear everything. Fitted front cover, still clearance. Tried to fit the front pulley, fouls on extra casting lug for optional external TDC sensor. Out with the hacksaw again, and slides pulley on. Only to find there is no way the oil feed to the engine, and the alternator belt (alternator in 'standard position) can be fitted to the engine at the same time!!!  :angry: And I cant relocate the alternator to the exhaust side, because it would be fighting for room with the scavange pump.

So it looks like the credit card is gonna take a bit more of a bashing tomorrow. :(

And something is telling me it isnt over yet... :arse:

yes it not that simple

i did the same with the pulley ,had it machined off ,only to find out oil pipe to engine will not fit in a million years with this pulley :bangshead:  i think i did tell you this, dont no why your bolts bottomed out ,should be to same length,you have used the double gasket havent you. :bangshead: my pump was ok but did have the hot rod setup from pace,pump sits up higher.pump tension not problem.it will pivot round on back bolt.timing cover did not refitt to much hassle. and only used top half of back plate so i could fit idler wheel tensioner bracket. :bangshead:  :bangshead: good luck with rest of kit.it be worth it in end.

ps mine still got ffing oil leak coming from somewhere. :bangshead:

Cheers Pete.

Double gasket-you are worrying me now. Whats all that about then? Mine has a rubber seal that is pushed into a machined slot in the mounting flange-no mention of gaskets... Was yours the SBD 'loads-a-clearence' sump, or the other type?

Cheers, Stu.

stu

dont worry thats ok ,you have used later type baffle plate and gasket,me used old type with double gasket, makes a wider joint.sump was a pace unit.  :D

:down:

Nope.

I've had two press releases, flyers out to about 100 addresses and nobody saw anything.

I finally posted the claim form yesterday anlong with just about every receipt for the cash I spent on the car, but TBH it's not the cash that counts, I put hours into it, I was proud of what I'd acheived.

I'm convinced I'm going to loose out, higher premiums and a low settlement are inevitable and what the f u c k did I do to deserve it, nothing as far as I can see.

Still at least it was'nt dry sumped..............