Not a nice end for a Caterham

Mark Purves

I must be a real p**f or worried I am a rubbish driver

Not only have I got a full cage, I always belt up as  tight as possible and I always use the crotch strap on the road.

Bazzer

*siren* Use of crotch and p**f in same thread *siren*

mx5_crash.jpg

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• oioi

• Bazzer

• studbuckle

• adhawkins

Just out of interest, anyone know what the circumstances of the accident were?

Trying to read into it from the photos, it looks something like a major lock up at the rear end (although it's difficult to tell).

Anyone?

Andy

the incident is written up on blatchat.  I think the topic title is "sad news" for obvious reason.

err and theres a difference between a westfield and a focus how in that statement

I should have added "as well", as opposed to letting you get the interpretation wrong......

the first point i also think is a big pile of poo (a steamy one at that)! i would argue your more likely to switch of in your tin top and not concentrate so much.

We get a post about once a month on here where someone has been trying, and met with a kerb or something, or has had a problem in the wet and "had an off". Some Westfield drivers will drive beyond their limits or beyond the limits for the conditions, which is no better than a Focus driver nodding off..... HOWEVER, that is precisely when you'll be glad you had a *proper* roll bar, 'cos a kerb will tip you over easy enough. Rolling down a grass bank won't do you much good, and it'll be worse if the car flips. Add in the chocolate standard roll bar, and you'll be lucky to escape with your life, let alone your cervical vertebrae intact.

And has been pointed out, it's about choice, and how you assess the risk. This is blurred somewhat by Westfield marketing the standard bar as a roll bar. I think most of us agree that ths could be interpreted as mis-leading, depending on how you interpret the term roll bar.

FOR ME, the risk of rolling the car is low, BUT I still want to protect myself against this eventuality. After all, as has been ably demonstrated by Barbarella, it may not be my fault that I find myself rolling down a grass bank....

the incident is written up on blatchat.  I think the topic title is "sad news" for obvious reason.

link?

Andy

Which reminds me. The unfortunate driver of the vehicle in the picture spent (I think) over 2 years in recovery/rehab, and still has less than full use of one of his arms. This accident was over 5 years ago now, IIRC..... We'll never know if a full RAC bar would have helped, but it would have at least remained upright and kept it's form better. It certainly wouldn't have made the outcome any worse...

link?

Search/actually look! It's a *very* recent post.... :p

I did look (in 'Chit Chat' which is where I assume it is).

Can't see a topic with that title.

Ah...they've re-enabled search (show's how long it is since I've been on there...)

http://www.blatchat.com/T.asp?id=58910

Andy

Blatman, you are talking about the second illustration, the Westfield I assume?

I am. When I posted, Studbuckles picture was a nice little red cross in a box..... which I preferred to what's there now, to be honest :devil::D

All right,heres an even harder one....which song had the line....roll another one,just like the other one ???

Cheesy roll,prize for this un

not been here for a while ,but a did post that in my opinion most RAC bars are as useless as the standard bar anyway ......most of the hieghts of them make them unsafe .

I have an RAC bar for sale if anyone wants it , now i have taken the safe route of going full cage , but then my car only gets used for track use ,and does have 225bhp ,

The perils of rolling any car are huge .but having done so myself in a fully caged tin top , you will be glad of it if it does happen .

BUT REMBER WITH ANY SAFTEY ITEM IT ONLY WORKS IF USED CORRECTLY.

so keep those harnesses tight the exstinguister pin out ,and don't drive beyond the limits of your ability depending on the conditions.

And for what its worth don't go for blats down country lanes , you are just asking to die.