• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• oioi

• Bazzer

• studbuckle

• adhawkins

There's no argument that the RAC is bar is superior, but is it enough of an improvement to go around suggesting to everyone that they're putting their lives at risk unless they make this change?

If you don't have an roll over accident you will not be putting your life at risk.

If you have a roll over accident with a standard bar your life is more at risk than with a braced one.

So all you have to do is not have a roll over accident, and you will be fine  :D

Ring the factory and ask them what there position is on the standard bar !!!!

Bazzer

Is getting a bit regular.

unlike my bowels

:(  :down:  :(

ooops ive lowered the tone.

again!

back to roll bars here is a helpfull tale -

I was doing a track day where my father was also present thrashing the pants of his company rep mobile.  a fellow se7ener (who was suitably primed) was taken for a run out by my dad, pointed out as i went past the inadequacies of the standard roll bar and the fact that my head was higher than the roll bar.  apparently about this time i had huge slide in front of the old git where I just caught it.  Later that day, in a very nice restaurant, the old git was in a suitably cheerfull mood and commented on how cr@p he thought the roll bar was.  I told him that I couldnt afford a decent one, cos i wanted to blow my money on trackdays. I  was (and still am) prepared to take the risk. he said okay for his own piece of mind he would buy me a roll bar    :t-up:  :t-up:  :D  :D  result!

So all you have to do is not have a roll over accident, and you will be fine  :D

I don't plan on hitting a wall in my Westfield either. Does that mean I can take the harnesses out?

:)

Andy

Does that mean I can take the harnesses out?

Come on Andy NO they are required by law a rollbar is not

:durr:

Spot the smiley Mark...there's no way I'd drive without a seat belt. Amazes me the number of people that do though.

Andy

Your unbraced bar will be fine in a roll over, as long as you're not moving forwards or backwards when you roll.

It's a SEiGHT, I'm going more sideways than forwards... does that count ;)

Actually, i'm trying for this not to sound like bating, Is it not a bit like buying a Ford Focus for the daily commute and then asking that nice Mr Wilson to fit a full roll cage because it's obviously safer and meets motorsports requirements? (extreme example)

Even in a sideways accident, with no cross brace the bar will "parralellogram" without much effort.

The difference between your example and the Focus, is that you are far more likely to A) "Try" in the Westfield, and B), Accidents happen. A roll in a Focus is serious of course, but at least it will offer *some* protection (I'm sure we've all seen cars rolled on the motorway. I have, and I'm *always* surprised that they aren't squashed flat as a pancake. Tin tops seem to do OK though...)

Our point is that the standard Westfield bar ofers NO meaningful protection in those circumstances. Agreed , you'd be unlucky, but I *choose* not to trust to luck.

I think the Focus example was aimed at me ;)

It'll all be fine...the Mundano comes (hopefully :angry:) on Monday :D

Andy

I don't plan on hitting a wall in my Westfield either. Does that mean I can take the harnesses out?

Andy

You did realise I was being sarcastic I take it  :D

I think the Focus example was aimed at me ;)

Only in as much as I don't know who makes a full cage for a Bora :)

Yes, I spotted your smiley.

You apparently missed mine...

(there's another one)

Andy

Yes, I spotted your smiley.

You apparently missed mine...

(there's another one)

Andy

Nah I new you were joking, just wondered if you were ribbing me because you thought I was serious and had flipped sides on the argumment all of a sudden :D  :D

Anyway sod RAC bars, what about if a badly driven EVO 7 T bones you (nearly happened) You want side impact protection, you want a full cage, anythig less and you are risking your life

:D  :D  :D  :D

Please notice lots of smileys and read whole thread for context  :D  :D  :D

Bazzer