• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Visit to Westfield

Ellers

Went to Kingswinford today to look at a couple of cars. I phoned them yesterday with a couple of questions about one of the cars I was interested in. It was advertised as a kit with all parts supplied by Westfield. The engine and gearbox were reconditioned but all other components were new. I asked if the car was on a Q plate and was told that "by a fluke" it had got through the SVA and had been registered with an 02 plate. After today's test drive I asked if the engine had been reconditioned by Westfield and was told that the engine was new in 2002.

Being an absolute beginner in these matters I was somewhat confused by Westfield apparently not knowing what they were selling. Is this a normal part of the "Westfield Experience"?

As it happened. the test drive was rather good although not long enough. I had to turn back once I got to the outskirts of Kidderminster!  :D

I've not made my mind up yet about whether to buy it.

Ellers,

When an amateur built kit (ie not factory built) car goes through SVA one major part is allowed to be reconditioned to 'as new' condition and the rest of the parts must be new to gain a current registration plate.  This is what they meant by saying 'fluke' as is should have been issued with a Q plate.

I would be surprised if the engine was new as the car is on carbs and a pre 95 engine must be used for this for emissions purposes, so the engine would most probably have been reconditioned.

It just sounds like a bit of confusion, if you want to spend a bit longer with a car, just let me know and I can bring mine to you.

Cheers,

Rich.