silhouettes

westy

Quick question for you rule fanatics.

I heard the silhouette of the car must remain the same above the centre line of the wheels.  Does this mean that the silhouette taken from above/below the car is irrelevant?

It says the silloette above the centre line must not change - it doesnt however state from which viewing angle this silloette is taken - hence they could say 'we can view from ANY angle' and anything above the centre that changes the silloette from standard' would contravene the rule.

Guess you could try it and see.  what ever you add though, make it easily removable incase they dont like it.

Just quite what is a 'standard' silloette for a westfield anyway!!!

cheers

Chris

I belive that the factory have supplied full sillouetes for this purpose which meant that the air filters out of the bonnet were allowed.

Westy, if you tell us of your new mod it may help us to tell you it's not allowed.  The only way round this is if it is in carbon and I got one too. :D;)

Be very careful in reading the regs. I got caught at Shelsley 2 wks ago wrt the rear diffuser. They were intending to not allow my timed run (and a very good run at that) because it 'did not comply'. I removed the diffuser and ran without; luckily a faster 2nd run.

Seems the silhouette applies to the side and top elevations irrespective of wheel CL.

I removed the diffuser and ran without; luckily a faster 2nd run.

So what you're saying is that they're more of a fashion accessory? :devil:  And just think of all that weight.  :D

Thanks chaps.

Would a call to the MSA be the only way to get a definitive answer or would they never commit to one?  ???

Westy, if you tell us of your new mod it may help us to tell you it's not allowed.  The only way round this is if it is in carbon and I got one too.

I'll bear that in mind Rob!

Would a call to the MSA be the only way to get a definitive answer or would they never commit to one?  ???

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :p  :sheep:  :sheep:

Oh yeah theyd be really interesting what with it been club motorsport and that. Been there before it's an interesting experience. Best bet would be to put you money down and see a technical clarification.

or tell us what it is and we can let you know if it has been covered before or not.

Keith

MSA are as much use as a chocolate fireguard with regard to rulings for sprints and hills.

Send me a PM offline or e-mail and I will consult it with the WSCC Championship Eligibility Scrutineer amnd MSA Scrutineer David Bowlas who is extremely helpful with such matters and also the WSCC Championship Co-Ordinator.

I can assure you the strictest confidence  ;)  ;)

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :p  :sheep:  :sheep:

Oh yeah theyd be really interesting what with it been club motorsport and that. Been there before it's an interesting experience. Best bet would be to put you money down and see a technical clarification.

or tell us what it is and we can let you know if it has been covered before or not.

that will be a no then :D

Mark you have PM

Keith

Full response to follow later  ;)  ;)  :D for ya via e-mail

Mark

Ash

I think they are very wrong about the side elevation - the blue book is very clear - it says above the wheel centre line. I have had this discussion with scrutineers as recently as Harewood in May w.r.t to the front spoiler on Keiths car.

I also can't find any reference to a plan view requirement anywhere.

This is the first time I have ever heard of the rules being applied in this way and I'm fairly sure they are wrong. It's easier said than done I know but I think you should have stood your ground. The risk is they set a dangerous precedent otherwise.

Guy

Gotta agree with you Guy - does seem unfair on Ash when the blue book is quite clear - the thing they might pick up and you gotta be a bit careful with is the 100mm ground clearance situation which can be applied to "aerodynamic aids"  :)  :)

Thirded. My interpretation of "silhouette" is that it's a view of the car at 90 degrees from the front (ie, looking at the car in profile) taken from the wheel centre height, and at a reasonable (whatever that means) distance away from the car. This makes the spoiler on Keiths car quite legal, as noted. Anything that remains "invisible" when the car is viewed in this manner would also be legal, as far as I can see. Anything else, like assuming a view from above or from a different aspect around the car, smacks of a scrutineer taking the law in to his own hands. I think I'd have asked him to justify his interpretation of the rule, and if necessary make a report to the Chief Scruter/Clerk of the Course, so that a considered view could be taken. Assuming such actions are allowed, of course.... :bangshead:

I was very clear with them in that I did not agree with their decision and would take it further.

However to remove any further arguement and to ensure I got a timed run, in case the decision went against me, I removed the diffuser. As I said I got a better run (32.23 sec vs 32.35 sec) and lived to fight another day.

However I have been seeking clarification because I believe it is legal.

What was also difficult was the situation where because it was a quick run it appears they needed to inspect the car again and thats when this situation arose !

Ash

And yourself and many others have run at the event in previous years with the rear diffusers fitted without an issue being made  ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)

Perhaps if you are at MIRA this Saturday another MAC event someone may be able to shed light on the situation  ;)  ???  ???