carbon effect wheel arch protectors

Nick.Petty

Got some nice wheel arch protectors today for me Birthday, so couldn't wait to fit them and in my haste got superglue all over one of them (was using to fit the edging). Then tried to use thinners to get it off, then nail varnish remover etc etc and it has made a right pig's ear of it  :(  :(

Do you reckon the factory might sell them singularly or is there any way to undo the damage?

What a PLANK.

:oops:

Are these teh plastic one from ESP Plastics? If so, I'm sure Nick A will have some ideas.

In the mean time, try applying some heat. IIRC, Superglue isn't much good in temps over 50 dgress..... so perhaps a rag dipped in boiling water, rather than an oxy acetylene torch :oops:

Or maybe a hair dryer..... you could use your engine :0:p:D

Or maybe a hair dryer..... you could use your engine

CHEEKY!  :D

Yes, the wheelarch protectors are the ones from the factory -bout £80 for the pair. have rubbed the glue so hard that all the shine has come off the plastic and it looks orrible so I reckon a sneaky replacement is needed before the Father in Law notices (he bought 'em for me birthday) :blush:

:(   sorry to hear this, if you go to a motor parts store and ask for some panel wipe this should do the trick it's what they use to remove marks/glue/tape mark's on newly finished paint jobs and prep work.

Nick - happy birthday!

Sorry to hear about this... and the seats... and that persistant ticking noise off no. 1 cylinder. The resale value is heading south pretty rapidly :D  :p

Mike, shiny new manifold, plus seats fixed (mounted much stronger than they were) and new AO48Rs going on this week .... I reckon the opposite is happening to it's resale value    :D

Of course that is subjective as to whether it makes it back from Classic LeMans next week!

See you Wednesday?

Nick

OK so it gets worse.

Finally fitted me new manifold but it is longer than the old one. I am running a carbon R1 can and this brought the exit pipe of the can fairly near to the left hand wheel arch, with the hitherto nice shiny (no superglue on this side) wheel arch protector. Thought, "hmm looks a bit tight but I will just go round the block and make sure it is OK". As I pulled back in the drive flipped me helmet visor up and thought "funny smell that" Car had also seemed a bit underpowered, like engine was being strangled due to the pipe being so close to the arch.........

I'VE BURNED A BLEEDIN GREAT HOLE IN THE WHEEL ARCH PROTECTOR. MELTED IT TO BITS!!!  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:

Problems 1. Now fcuked both new arch protectors

2. Got a carbon R1 can that is too long for the new manifold

3. Sold me old Westfield standard can yesterday

4. Off to Le Mans next Thursday supposedly in the Westy.

I am now off to find the nearest cliff to throw meself off .....

Mike, shiny new manifold, plus seats fixed (mounted much stronger than they were) and new AO48Rs going on this week .... I reckon the opposite is happening to it's resale value    :D

Glad to hear it's all going so well :D

I'VE BURNED A BLEEDIN GREAT HOLE IN THE WHEEL ARCH PROTECTOR. MELTED IT TO BITS!!!      

2. Got a carbon R1 can that is too long for the new manifold

3. Sold me old Westfield standard can yesterday

4. Off to Le Mans next Thursday supposedly in the Westy.

LOL, and I thought it was just me that did things like that! :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Rob

OK so it gets worse.

I'VE BURNED A BLEEDIN GREAT HOLE IN THE WHEEL ARCH PROTECTOR. MELTED IT TO BITS!!!  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:

Oh b******* :(

How's the Wheel arch looking under the 'protector'  ???

Damaged  :down:  or still in one piece  ???

I had to use a Hot air gun on my Carbon protectors aswell to get them to fit at the top properly.

Even on it's lowest setting it would of been easy for it to of gone pear-shaped  :down:

Better luck next time  :t-up:

So you will still be at the meeting Wed. night as everything is now sorted    :p

Or should we come round to your place instead. will bring angle grinder, large hammer etc.?     ???  :angry:  :devil:

J D      :cool:

Some days  it just makes you wish you stayed in bed doesn't it?  :bangshead:  :bangshead:

Can you take a bit of the end of the manifold pipe so that the exhaust sits futher away from the arch?

I must admit when I fitted my new exhaust and arch protectors at the same time, my thought's were "hmmm that's only plastic, better keep the exhaust a good distance from the arch"........Glad I did now!  :0

Hope you get it sorted!

Mark.

I have today resolved the exhaust issue (put a piece of bent pipe on the end, why didn't I do this in the first place) and will thus hopefully see you Hants/Wilts chaps tomorrow night dans le Westy. I shall bring along what's left of the wheel arch protector to provide you with much mirth and hearty amusement. That is the type of selfless chap I am... :p

What a couple of days I have had!  

:bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead:  :bangshead: