• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Computer Upgrade

Stuart

Abit NF7 V2.0 nForce2 Socket A 8xAGP LAN USB2 6 ch Sound DDR400 Memory Retail Box        

Our Price £38.69

£45.47 inc VAT

Casecom Kg-9666 400w Atx Case In Grey And Silver        

Our Price £12.99

£15.27 inc VAT

AMD ATHLON XP2500+ 333MHZ FSB 512 L2 Cache Barton CPU - OEM

£42.03

£49.39 inc VAT  

Coolermaster Aero 7 Lite Alloy Extrusion + Aero Fan Amd Cpu        

Our Price £9.45

£11.11 inc VAT

Crucial 512 DDR400 PC3200 CL=3 Memory Module             Our Price £48.99

£57.57 inc VAT

Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 120Gb 7200rpm UDMA133 - OEM        

Our Price £42.97

£50.49 inc VAT

PNY Verto Geforce FX5200 Ultra 128MB DDR 8x AGP TV-Out DVI-I Inc Game pack Retail Box        

Our Price £29.95

£35.20 inc VAT

Liteon 52x32x52x IDE DRIVE - Retail Box        

Our Price £16.53

£19.43 inc VAT

Total

£283.93

Can take floppy if required from yer old machine or buy a new one for £5 more .

Good base system with room for plenty of upgrades if needed ..

Might be a fraction more than yer box shifter is selling but all decent branded components and easy upgradability.All from ebuyer

Regards

Persil

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Persil

• neilwillis

• Stuart

• Enterpryse

Thanks Persil, that's just what I was looking for (and thanks everyone else - I knew the WSCC would come up with the goods).  All I need now is some instructions on how to put it all together - anyone recommend a good website?

Best deal on the net in canada...takes some beating

I'd go with ebuyer too... i've spent a good couple of grand with them over the last couple of years and their after sales is second to none.

I've had problems with scan and wouldnt use them again.

definately build yourself a machine... its like lego for geeks ;)

You also need to think if you want a quiet PC.. if you are building a new PC with cheap ass cooler and psu, then you will be amazed how loud it is compared to your old machine!

Quiet coolers can be had for a few pounds more (Zalman Flower is amazing)

Quiet PSU's however are a lot more.

Seconded (thirded?) the vote for ebuyer,

Hmm, not so sure.  Never liked their returns system, so make sure you get everything right first time :durr:

If you have to return something cos you ordered the wrong bit then its probably cheaper to have gone to dabs.

just MHO

Scruffy

Try this aria pretty cheap, do some good deals of the day,

Just built two pc's one for my brother and the other a friend for £400 with out a monitor,

Spec

xp2500 barton

asus AV7V8-X mother board

80g harddrive

512mb pc2700

silver sony DVD Drive

silver sony 52x CDR

silver Floppy drive

geforce FX5200 128mb graphics card (budget card FWIW)

with a pucka version of XP home

keyboard and microsoft mouse

and they wanted it put in a fancy case with see through side and fans that light up :p

Pretty good spec pc and you'll save a few quid if you put it together yourself or get someone who knows what there doing to lend a hand ;)

Karl

Thanks Jon for build site.  I am definitely gonna give it a go.  One last daft question - the case that Persil has suggested only has 2 USB ports, and I currently use one for my modem and one for my digital camera.  I would like to use the new USB digital storage devices rather than a floppy, so need at least a 3rd port - do I need to buy a different case with more USB ports or just a socket doubler?  It would probably be easier to have one port at the front, but I see that some of those say that you have to have a compatible motherboard so then I'm back to compatibility issues that I know nowt about.

In other words, is there a good value case that has 2 x USB at rear + 1 or 2 at front that is compatible with all the other gear Persil has suggested (takes me ages to search around because the machine I am replacing is so old).

Thanks again to everyone for all the help.

The motherboard i have cost about £40 and the case £30, the motherboard has 4 usb ports on the back and the case has 2 on the front which you plug into the motherboard pretty simple and works well.

Karl

USB cards are available too. I fitted one to my Gateway PC tower, 'cos the two in the motherboard simply weren't enough....

Or you could just buy a USB hub...I don't think they're expensive, and are often more convenient than groping around the back of the PC.

Andy

Seconded (thirded?) the vote for ebuyer, although watch out cos they use Citylink to deliver who, IMO, are the worst carriers on the face of the earth.

I agree about Citylink entirely - if I order by phone or web, if they deliver by them I go elsewhere, tho' ebuyer are good - bit of a dilemma!

Rebuilt one PC - couldn't be bothered next time round - bought an HP machine from Comet for £450 AMD2800/512/80/DVD-rom/CD-RW/lots of ports - switch-on - works!

Still, it's worth a build your own at least once - good luck!

Kerry S

OK guys, this is it.  Ebuyer - delivery next Wednesday.  £298. Any obvious pitfalls?

Casecom Kg-9666 400w Atx Case

Abit NF7 V2.0  nForce2 Socket A 8xAGP LAN USB2  6 ch Sound  DDR400 Memory

AMD ATHLON XP2500+ 333MHZ FSB 512 L2 Cache Barton CPU - OEM

Coolermaster Aero 7 Lite Alloy Extrusion + Aero Fan Amd Cpu

Crucial 512 DDR400 PC3200 CL=3 Memory Module

Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 120Gb 7200rpm UDMA133 - OEM

Liteon 52x32x52x IDE DRIVE CDRW

Ebuyer 4 Port USB Mini Hub

XFX Geforce Fx5200 AGP8x 128MB DDR DVI TV-Out

maybe add some 80mm case fans and if you dont have one an optical mouse .. There pretty cheap now and well worth it compared to ball mice.

2 should be enough (1 drawing cool air in and one sucking air out the rear)

Other than that all looks ok

If you need any help with building or after build problems feel free to pm me

Enjoy

Persil

I have heard bad and good things about the aero 7 fans(can be very noisy), the last two pc's i have built had the AMD 2500xp barton chip and they both run at around 40-45 degrees C with the heatsink and fan that comes with the chip, like persil suggested put a couple of case fans on, i have two blowing air in and two sucking it out, otherwise your heatsink and fan will be  blowing hot air around the case.

Karl

that mobo is nforce 2.. does it have onboard graphics?

if so.. why bother with an fx5200 card? the mx400 onboard gfx is just as good as the 5200.

sounds good for the money too!

I went similar spec cpu and ram for my parents... but slotted them into a shuttle system.....

looks great!

small and sweet

its 165 quid.. but you're getting case, graphics, psu, cooler, front and back usb and a 1/2 built system too included.

doesnt really help though now you have odered yours ;)