1st, (and maybe last), trackday)

brianm

I've seen lots of cars with fire extinguishers mounted between the seats....

Oooops :blush:  :blush:  :blush: . It is in a net though.

???

Avoid powder ones,

Oooops again :blush:  :blush: Still, sooner have a white car than a toasted one :oops:  :oops:  :oops:

B.

Brian

Don't worry on bit  :D  :D  ;)  There's plenty of folks on hand well experienced with track days and Mallory who will gladly help you out and if you wish show you the "ropes"  :D  ;)  ;)

have fun take it easy  :D  ;)

P.S. George Hardman will be there who used to have a Cyclone and drove it arund Mallory and many other circuits  ;)  :D

Don't worry on bit        There's plenty of folks on hand well experienced with track days and Mallory who will gladly help you out and if you wish show you the "ropes"      

Heh, Heh, I like that ;)

and I'll have my extensive workshop facilities with me... large hammer, duck tape and cable ties. It'll be fine  

My kinda guy :oops:  :oops:  :oops:

B.

Still, sooner have a white car than a toasted one

Nothing to do with what colour the powder is, and everything to do with the fact that powder extinguishers settle, a bit like a bag of flower. You *must* shake them vigorously before pulling the pin, otherwise all you'll get is a little puff of powder, and not much else. Trouble is, most people don't want to shake them around for 30 secs before deploying, especially when they see their car going up in smoke....

IME, it's OK sticking the FE between the seats if you fasten it in properly.  And it's pretty good experience - I stuffed my car big style in May and the FE didn't smack me at the side of the head.  A quick release tie around the bracket worked for me.

Was it a side impact? Is the securing device *designed* to withsatnd the high momentary G of a sideways shunt? I doubt it, and even if it was, I personally wouldn't want to risk it... YMMV.

Blatman, accept what you say about *design*, but it was a side impact big enough to bend the chassis.  Any bigger and I wouldn't be here to tell the tale.  All you gotta do is secure the extinguisher properly.

Is a Westfield designed to take side impacts?  If you wanted designed safety you wouldn't be driving a Westfield.

Is a Westfield designed to take side impacts?  

Probably more so than an extinguisher mount which the manufacturer wants to keep cheap, so it's made from cheap materials, and isn't tested, except to see that the extinguisher actually fits in it. They are designed to let go of the extinguisher with a minimum of force though..... A cable tie isn't exactly designed to resist the loads which you're asking it to either.

Remember, a Westfield has passed Low Volume Type Approval for the UK, and the German TUV tests, which I believe include a side impact test (it may be a 3/4 impact, I forget), so it's had more designed in impact resistance than either the mount, or the cable tie :p

So yes, whilst it worked for you, it's not something I personally feel I can reccommend to the world as the correct mode of operation for safe extinguisher mounting.

Are we splitting hairs a bit? Probably....  :D