F1 qualifying

Blatman

I've stopped watching the qualifying and switched over to Star Trek....

The teams are suspecting rain for the "real" qualifying, a bit later in the session. Therefore, in the qualifying for qualifying ( :bangshead: ), lots of the drivers seem to have been told to back off before the line to set a slow time, so that they get out early in the real qualifying to avoid the rain.

There's something quite sad (not to say boring) watching an F1 car hurtle round 3/4 of the lap, only to stick it in first at Luffield and take an extra 20 -30 seconds to coast across the line. Bunch of :arse:

Yeah, although at least we are seeing pre-qualifying for a change.

The whole qualifying scheme at the moment is pretty daft anyway to be honest. The proposed modifications for the British GP sounded much better to me.

Andy

Hopefully the sound of people switching off in their thousands may provoke Bernie in to doing something constructive for a change...

Just to let you know, they're now not showing the pre-qualifying, they're doing the build up stuff. I presume they were just showing the Jaguar cos that's the team they're following this weekend.

Andy

FARCE !!!!!

A certain German Ferrari driver just admitted to spinning deliberately :angry:

It's no longer motor 'racing', it's motor tactics :arse:  :arse:  :arse:  :arse:  :arse:

Tour de France is good though  :D

The F3000 was worth watching! :D

Cant blame the teams or the drivers though change the rules :(

B@ll&$ks Matt

Some of the teams blocked the change back to sensible qualifying:-

1. The proposed rule change would have re-introduced the 107% rule and that would have meant no Minardis and probably no Jordans. Remember they would all qualify on low fuel.

2. The 4 minutes that the bottom half of the grid get on camera each weekend is more than than they would get in half a season of finishing 3 laps behind. The sponsors, once having been given the TV exposure, will not continue to pay the same amount without it.

Call this motor racing, you're having a turkish

A certain German Ferrari driver just admitted to spinning deliberately :angry:

Did he? That wasn't how I interpreted it...

Why on earth would you spin on purpose? Why not just do what everyone else did and go slow for the last few corners?

Forcing yourself into a spin is asking for trouble in terms of ending up in a gravel trap or something...

Andy

B@ll&$ks Matt

Some of the teams blocked the change back to sensible qualifying:-

1. The proposed rule change would have re-introduced the 107% rule and that would have meant no Minardis and probably no Jordans. Remember they would all qualify on low fuel.

2. The 4 minutes that the bottom half of the grid get on camera each weekend is more than than they would get in half a season of finishing 3 laps behind. The sponsors, once having been given the TV exposure, will not continue to pay the same amount without it.

Call this motor racing, you're having a turkish

What I said F.A. it’s down to the FIA to make it more entertaining and that still stands. If they do not implement rule to make it so then don’t blame drivers or teams for exploiting them it makes good business sense. I must admit I like a lot of the game playing but would sooner so the cars back on sliks with smaller engines and some good overtaking. The Frog Grand Prix was a good example Ferrari out snookered everybody by brilliant strategy and that’s that. Would I have sooner seen MS overtake on the track yes but with the rules the way they are it was unlikely so play to the rules. I am afraid it’s now down to Bernie E

The problem is, whatever rule changes you make, MS & the red cars will adapt and still win. The man is a legend and we are privileged to see sporting history in the making. I hope he goes on winning so I can say to my grandkids that I was there! Just a pity he's not British, but he's still a master at his craft and all credit to him.

If you've got a racing car it's got to be red!!!!!

Taxi :D  :arse:  :durr:

I regret to say that I fell asleep whilst watching my video recording of this event.

Maybe something to do with the wine with my cheese sandwiches!!

:zzz:  :zzz:

I regret to say that I fell asleep whilst watching my video recording of this event.

Maybe something to do with the wine with my cheese sandwiches!!

:zzz:  :zzz:

Probably nothing to do with your choice of beverage. Everything to do with a couple of hours of the most tedious TV imaginable. I always regarded my self as an F1 fan - but chose to take the kids to the village fete today (in the rain) in preference to watching that cynical exercise in trying to stretch the airtime that ITV get for their $50m fee.

One of "Bernies" problems is that there is always the possibility that the major players could break away and form their own series (or just stick with sports car racing) if he tries to force them to adopt regs that they don't like. The last thing that BMW, Ferrari and Mercedes want is to be forced to use the same technology as Minardi...

Taxi :D  :arse:  :durr:

With you all the way on this MS is by far the best driver even if people do not like him. Look at what Ferrari had done before he turned up. For all those that say he is in the best car well yep he is and he helped put it there. I think I am write in saying that they had not won a championship for 20 years before MS.

I think your all missing the point here, ok the pre-qualifying was down to tatics due to reports of rain but most teams got it wrong. Also it's not MS on pole like normal he's down in 4th, and finally it's nice to see a McLaren back on pole (Nice one Kimi now go out and win the race).