• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

RAC rollbar

chappers

Hi everyone,

Recently got my first westfield (1800 zetec GTZ) and loving it. Just joined the Kent Kit Car Club and working on the WSCC membership.

After reading the posts about rollbars I didn't realise that the chromed one was held on by one bolt each side. Therefore I want to fit an RAC one, but I really want to keep my roof. I can modify the bootbox, scrap the locking lid and fit a modified vinyl boot tonneau, but is it possible to modify the hood frame? maybe telescope the sides to lengthen them to clear the bar upon raising, or clip a modified hood frame to the rollbar itself? I know the RAC bar is higher than a standard one but can anyone tell me the actual height of the RAC bar so that I can work out what to do. Using a tonneau cover and ditching the boot will be the very last resort, even if it is simpler.

Hi chappers,

Welcome to the WSCC.

Sorry I can't help with the question regarding weather gear, although I am fairly sure it can be (and has been) done.  

The height of the factory supplied RAC rollbar is 41cm.

welcome,

I had a standard hood (not frame) come with my car which had an RAC bar fitted. The standard hood will not fit, it'll either fit at the back and leave 2" short at the front or vice versa. the material will need to be modified or replced I would think...i went for the latter.

Good Luck

Sheepy

:sheep:

As far as I know, the hood frame is no longer needed, and the standard hood needs to be lengthened at the boot box end as Sheepy said.

Rich.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote (neilwillis @ June 11 2004,11:37)

With regards the hood and RAC bar, AFAIK, the main mod required is to extend the tab by which the frame attaches to the car by about 1/2".   Not a problem at all.

I was also told this, but was concerned that the hood itself would need be to short to reach the pressstud locations on the back panel.

I achieved mine by cutting the middle hoop out where the flat bar meets/welds to the tubular horizontal piece, the roll bar itself takes the place of this missing hoop and the hood / pressstuds fit in the usual way/place.

Glen

After fitting an RAC rollbar I was concerned about this, but my roof fits well enough using just the rollbar itself as the frame, the doors still fit in their holes and it still keeps the rain out(well, as much as it has ever done!;)

I had a local car trimmer make up a couple of patches and then cut the offending tight spots out( round the top rose joint areas) and then glued them into position.Took it to his workshop and he ran the thread round with an industrial machine.Cost me a couple of beers.

So what you`re saying Glen H, is that all you have to do is buy a standard Hood with a frame and remove the middle hoop, and it will fit over the rac rollbar.  No mods required on the material?

P.S. Thanks for linking me here.

So what you`re saying Glen H, is that all you have to do is buy a standard Hood with a frame and remove the middle hoop, and it will fit over the rac rollbar.  No mods required on the material?

100% CORRECT, Cut the hoop where the tubalar top/horizontal section is welded to the vertival flatbar, the 2 SVA covers for the tabs welded to the chassis then cover the cut ends.

Hi all, ordered my Westfield on  Friday. I have seen the discussion on rollbars & hoods. As i have yet to finalise the spec I would like to fit the RAC spec bar. Could anyone send me pictures of a car with the modified hood?

Thanks guys. Very helpful. Looks like I'll have to wait for a long weekend, fit an RAC bar and then modify the boot box/frame/hood as required. Even if I have trouble fitting it, at least I'll know I'm safer in the event of a roll over - however unlikely.