• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Front brake pipe route

Mitchamidilly

Mitch,

Half the pipes I received were the wrong length so as others have suggested I used a roll of copper piping and made my own.

It is much easier to work with, just try putting a flare on the Westfield pipes!!!

You used copper for brake pipes ?

:oops:

1734.jpeg

Thats a Duratec chassie with a gap for the exhaust to exit on the right

Talk to Westfields soon or fit a Duratec

See my web site for a Zetec chassie

wide%20track%2014.jpg

Also the best route for the front brake pipes is to run them down to the bottom chassie rail and clip them to the top of this rail and put the tee peice in the center between the two lugs for the horns and then out to the calipers that way you get less fluid drain back  

Use braided hoses its easier and looks good

So do I have the wrong chassis for a Zetec then? I'm confused  :bangshead:

Also I have already fitted the front two pipes from the T piece as advidsed in the manual.

I want to be under £10k and think a duratec is out of the question for this budget.

Mitch

So do I have the wrong chassis for a Zetec then?

Maybee

Westfields may have made them to take either or engine but your right hand side diagional brace is for a Duratec

Compare it with the 2000 spec Zetec chassie in my post above

As I said before talk to Westfields before you go much further with the build.

Or just fit a Duratec you know you want to

Westfields may have made them to take either or engine but your right hand side diagional brace is for a Duratec

V8 chassis now have the same configuration of tubes, so maybe the whole range is now made this way...

I had the same problem on my Aussie-spec chassis (extra strengthening tubes on the chassis sides). Advised by the agent here to route the brake switch thru the front circuit. This gives you a little more length to the front t-piece. Here's how I did it:

My Webpage

HTH

Kev.

SEW/Nissan SR20DE

Mitch,

First off, don`t panic!!!!

I am also building a ZETEC and you have the same chasis as me (I will double check tonight to be 100%).  As I understand the chasis design has been changed, but the ZETEC will fit, its the mounts that are important.

Now for the brake pipe.  On mine the brake pipe for the front was shorter than the details in the Westfield manual.  After phoning them I found out the manual was wrong and the one I had was the right length!!!  They sent me a second pipe and after a bit of fidling I did get it to fit.  I ran it under the master cylinder, up the diagonal cross brace and then along the inside edge of the top chsis rail.  it was tight but it did fit,  I have some photos, but they are old fashioned hard copies.  If you want I can try to scan it?

As regards the rear brake pipe, I ran this under the body as per Westfields manual, just because it is my first experince and I thought it better to do it as they said rather than changing things.  From an engineering point of view, running it down the centre tunnel would be a better design, although all the factory built cars are run as per the manual.  I guess runing the pipes under the car is not bad, just down the tunnel is better.

Finally, and best advice for a new Westie builder.  Don`t panic and get stressed, its for fun and all things can be fixed!!!

Mat