Speed Bumps

wh155

Hi Boys and Girls,

Yes I am a newbie... but luvin the new car... SEiW and very yellow. (Appart from the brown stains - not learned to drive it very well yet!;)

Need some advice from you all please....

Speed Bumps - Are they actually negotiable?  

The car is living at my old mans in the garage at the mo but looking at transfering to my place.  The problem being that there are speed bumps in all directions into my place!  Damn Council!  Presumably someone out there has managed to get over them.  The clearence is looking well low and the speed bumps well high!!

Any body local around J28 M1... Tibshelf area up for a meet sometime.

Any info would be cool...

Cheers

Dave

If it ain't windy enough to windsurf, get the westi out!

westfields vary a lot in clearance depending on engine, sump and ride height. I'd get you tapemeasure out!

Only real way to find out is to try- very slowly :0

I have a standard sump on my 1800 zetec and the clearance is 7cm

With 2 people in the car I have driven over a speedbump which is the highest I know: ~18cm high and a ramp of about 80cm. I know it's not a legal speedbump and I plan to complain but since I can pass it I'm in no hurry.

My father's seen a car negotiate that bump at what he says was 120kph the car flew and broke the front axle on landing, guess he should hae been driving a dodg charger with the number 01 on the side  :sheep:

Only real way to find out is to try- very slowly

Seconded... The only way to truly know is to try your car on them. Very Slowly... Like less than walking pace. You'll soon know it if is a problem.

FWIW, Mine has 5" of clearance to the chassis rails with the sump/bell housing hanging about 1" below that... and with ~4" of clearance the only place I have ground out is a belgium motorway...  :blush:

I haven't come across a speed hump yet that can't be negotiated, and my sump is pretty low. I do scrape it on occasion though, but that's just one of those things you learn to live with. As has been said, approach them slowly and drive over them carefully...

David,

I live near you, im 5 mins from J28 of the m1 - Kirkby in Ashfield.

There are 11 speed humps to negotiate where i live, small red mounds in the middle of each lane, which means i drive in the middle of the road - the wheels negotiate the humps and my sump misses them.

The only way to try (as others have said) is to have a go....SLOWLY. If you can have someone watching you it may help.

hi whi55 - if yours is a zetec you may have to have a look at the thermostat as i believe these are vunerable low point (if its not the the thermostat what is it the zetec owner regularly break??)

OiOi

With the Zetec if you hit the sump hard the engine moves upwards and backwards and the plastic thermostat housing can break against the bulkhead. Slight differences in mounting position seem to make some considerably more / less vulnerable than others.

Here in Amsterdam they are masters at designing speed bumps.  The worst is the double one where each are a meter or so wide and spaced to that as the wheels go into the dip of one, the middle of the car is over the hump of the other.  The trick on a moped is to go fast enough to miss out the middle dip.  I havn't tried it in the Westie though!

The only time when 'go very slowly' is the right advice - at least when it concerns driving a car!

John

Holmfirth's Mob meeting

Tuesday 20th July, can only be about an hours drive, well worth it :D  :D  :D

Steve