• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

SVA

geofff

Hi All,

I have a feeling I've asked this before. Apologies.

Do I have to fit some sort of interior panel to cover chassis tubes for SVA?

Thanks

Geoff

Such fripperies are not even available for some 'inferior' cars  --  but I have a photocopy of my SVA certificate (June 2004) to show they're not necessary. Odd really, given all the emphasis they put on protruding bolts, sharp switches, etc. ???

Hi David,

Okay. I won't bother buying / making panels which I'll be removing post SVA then!

I'll have to read the SVA book - not the most interesting prospect of my build.

Ta

Geoff

Ah,

That's what I was actually looking to avoid.

The car will be used for racing. But as it will be SVA'd I want to avoid the removable padding look. I think that will give the wrong impression to an inspector.

A couple of panels held in with rivnuts for later removal or pipe lagging and tie wraps? Which way would you go?

Ta

Geoff

Geoff

My Striker bodywork in the cockpit area is nothing more than the chassis (25mm square section) with exterior sheet aluminium panels  --  it got through without padding except for rubber covers over all nuts/bolts etc which were not 'dome headed'. I did make sure there were no sharp panel edges (using a file and sand paper, rather than padding).

David

Get a sheet of hardboard, 6 rivets per side, and some blackboard paint.

Once it's through SVA, chuck it all in the skip!

Okay,

I was thinking of trying my hand at GRP for a flat rear boot cover anyway. If this works out I'll knock up a flat panel for the interior as well.

If my basic GRP doesn't work out I'll try commando style (bare chassis) for the SVA and see what happens.

Reverting to black painted hardboard if I fail SVA.

I have a cunning plan......but no turnip.

Thanks for the suggestions

Geoff

Geoff,

I recently passed SVA with no interior panels fitted ,no protection on any of the chassis mambers and no comment made by the inspector.

Although, I think things like this are sometimes dependant on the test engineers themselves.

Glen

The chassis members that mine failed on were the ones at the end of the footwell and the top side ones, not a very good description i know, sorry.  Basically used some pipe lagging covered in vinyl, easy and cheap to do.