Are my nuts big enough??

Nick.Petty

Whilst doing a safety check around my front suspension today I noticed the following;

All the nuts are long enough that there is a few mm of thread out the other side, including those that go through nylon locking washers.

However, on the top upright, which is the same one the cycle wing bracket bolts onto, the nut isn't long enough even to reach the end of the bolt. Is this dodgy ? I reckon it is but if so, why was it done like that in the first place ( I am not the original owner ).

If so, what bits do I need to resolve the problem. Do I need a different type of ball joint that is made longer to accommodate the extra thickness of the cycle wing bracket?

I know someone will have the answer, so cheers in advance!

Nick.

I believe (and I expect others do too) that this is a scam by the factory to get you to buy their ali uprights: they engineer a really crap design for the cortina uprights which means you have to grind 6mm from the inside top face so that the ball joint has enough thread. Total :arse:

Best advice I can give (which I'm gonna take myself one day ;) ) is to bin the brackets and get some proper ones from Tiger racing (I think - do a search). These bolt to the redundant dust-cover holes.

HTH

- Dan