• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

core plugs

colnagowetdream

Just a quick post, what do I use to seal a new core plug into my engine block?

Cheers in advance

Yep, interference fit (fit squarely using a smaller diameter socket) i beleive they're supposed to pop out if the coolant freezes, to save the block.

Not sure if this would work though ???

shouldn't have to use anything they are an interference fit.

Engines are certainly built without sealer around the coreplugs. And I have fitted them myself without any form of sealer before now too. But a gob of sealant wont go amiss, especially if it a replacement on an engine of older vintage, or the core plug is in a 'difficult to access' area.

Perksy, the fitting of the plug depends somewhat on its type. Some core plugs are like convex steel circles, which need to be 'smacked' sharply in the middle to force the plug to grip into the block.

HTH Stu.

This weekend I've just replaced all of my core plugs. I had the rear plug inside the bellhousing of a XF leaking. It was obvious once I'd split the engine from the housing. I had to clamp the plug into the hole with a large metal bar before I gave it a good whack, it kept popping out otherwise. Anywho, I thought i'd give it a smear of wellseal becuase i don't want to be seeing it again for a while.

Seem to have done the trick so far...I hope

Sheepy

:sheep:

I also just put a smear of sealant on core plugs when fitting them, may not be needed but makes me more confident that it will not leak especially if the housing is aluminium and a little corroded.