Accelerator linkage

alfie_fraser

Could you please have a look at my accel linkage and cable it looks to me like the angle of attack is way out.

Any suggestions on how to improve this or what is wrong I have seen the posh linkages that mount 90 degrees to the way mine is mounted but my cable is to long is there a different type available?

Accel Linkage - Cable flow

Hard to say, it's not clear what's what. But, the cable shouldn't be at such a steep angle, I would have thought. Mine's a Pinto so a bit different 'cos it's on the other side of the engine. You have to avoid sharp changes of direction for long cable life and ease of action. Put up a couple more pics and label the post to CVH owners (if that's what it is - it looks like it) ;) Here's mine:

insurance4.jpg

You could possibly fabricate a new bracket that bridges the carbs and is therefore `on top` of where it goes.

IIRC my old westy (Webers) had the cable pulling from the bottom   :0

Agree with that mines on an arched bridge and the cable comes up rather than down. Twin springs attach to the bridge (sorry cant post a pic as the car is at the menders)

Hi Alfie,

On my CVH the cable exits the box and goes below the carbs to terminate at a bracket between the carbs facing upwards.

Carb return springs are attached to side of rocker cover.

Hope this helps, can post pic if you want but not til tomorrow.

Rob

Cheers, guys I know the pic is not that good but it was one of those late night things i.e. 23.00 something, why do these cars take over your life like this ??

It is a sharpe down hill direction when the pedal is pressed (alomost 90 deg to the direction of travel)  I think I need to look at your's taffy (cable assembly that is before any smart comments), to understand how I can re-route, I believe you are within the Chesterfield/Derby area (I noticed your post on the Derby/Notts area meet so maybe I could drop by or even meet up somewhere?) or a good pic or two may get me moving in the right direction.

Cheers

Gareth :D  :t-up:

It'd be a good start if you bent (or straightened, actually) that bracket to make the direction of approach a bit more horizontal. :0

Clive, I think you are talking about the bracket that holds the black adjustment piece (pic 4), that bit is on a pivot and finds it's own natural position which happens to be like that in the photo.  Do I need to bend that do you think as not to have the 90deg bit in i.e. just a straight flappy bit ???

Cheers

Gareth

Gareth,

Ah, I see. I can't say but the angle that the cable has with respect to the throttle mechanism is very acute and the cable will not last long with all that flexing. Mine passes over the cam cover as close as it can do and there's the minimum of bend in the cable as it approaches the throttle lever. I couldn't make out what happens at the pedal end on yours, either. It seems to exit the pedal box at a funny angle from your pics. My pic is a bit pixellated to see clearly but I might be able to do a better one so you can see how the cable passes over the cam cover. It would be better if you could see another CVH installation, though. Maybe when Rob gets to post pics.... ???  :)

Edited to say that I imagine that the swivel is affected by the pressure of the bonnet on the cable outer when the bonnet is on; maybe?

Clive and gareth

Ill post pic tomorrow, but my cable exits the pedal boh horizontaly then loops down then up in a wide arc to terminate between carbs facing vertically upwards.

Pics tomorrow will show you but can carb linkage be reversed?

Rob

Rob,

Rumour has it that it can but I have no first hand knowledge of how. That would be a better way of doing it, I reckon.

Clive

Hi Clive

I recon thats the answer. As I say Ill post pics (when I retrieve camera from the pub!  :D  ) and all will be revealed!

Rob