• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Points replacement

Pinto Boy

I'm about to replace the points in my Pinto for the first time. The Haynes manual I got with the car does not cover cars with points though.

Please could someone let me know the part number and gap. The part nos for the dizzy cap and rotor arm would also be helpful if someone's got them to hand.

Just to show how much of a numptie I am this is what I think I should do to replace them - never actually done it on any car before :blush:

Unscrew the older one and screw in the new one.

Put the car in gear and move it forward / backward until I get maximum gap

Adjust the screw until the gap is the required size - using feeler gauges.

Is this correct?

Thanks  :)

Are you sure that you want to replace the points?  They are nothing but trouble.  One of the simplest and most cost effective upgrades is to replace the points and condenser with an electronic ignition such as the Aldon Ignitor or Lumenition Magnetronic system.  These both fit inside the distributor and are simple to fit.  I have an ignitor and it works perfectly.  Once set, the timing should not need further adjustment.  Cost, about £70 and worth every penny.

Seconded. Haven't touched my Lumenition Magnetronic since I fitted it, well over 5 years ago now....

'ere, 'ere! Ignitor Rules! :p (on a Pinto, no less)

Thanks guys.

I am planning to get an Lumenition Optronic system but can't find a decent 2nd hand one currently and new ones are a bit expensive. I thought that replacing the points would give me a little improvement until I got the lumenition.

In which case it's usually about 15 thou IIRC - 0.015" or 0.4mm ;)

Remember to change the condenser at the same time.  It failed on my car and took ages to track down the cause of the misfire.

Are there any particular advantages of the optronic system over an ignitor or the magnetronic?

I think the magnetronic systems are better. No lenses to get dirty or fail, or beams of light/LED's etc to go wrong, and no soppy ignition amplifiers. I'm not saing that the optronics are unreliable, far from it. But IMHO, if you can engineer out potential weaknesses, then why not?