Just got a scoobi  (280hp)

skid

who does a good cheap insurance,the car has a full roll bar and when l tell an insurance company they all hang up, who should l try and what should l tell them????????

road use is about 1000 miles a year :sheep:  :sheep:  :sheep:  :durr:  :durr:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :arse:  :arse:  :arse:  :arse:

i wouldnt tell em about roll cage, it doesnt make it any faster or nickable does it

ALERT, ALERT !!

Highly dodgy !!  (pun intended  :D  )   Any ammunition you give to an insurance company to allow them to wriggle out of paying a claim is a bad idea IMO.  Lots of insurance companies do consider a cage to be a reportable mod to the car.

Liverpool Victoria are worth a call re insurance - know a few people who've switched over to them recently.

Skid,I'd own up to any mods done to the car,including a roll cage.If for any unfortunate reason you made a claim and they find you've not declared something like that the insurance cover wont be worth the paper its written on,and seeing that you'll be paying over a grand(rough guess)thats a bl**** expensive sheet of paper.

so you'd tell 'em if you fitted say, a strut brace as well would you??

thing is it can get daft, they even tried to increase my friends premium because he had fitted a quickshift :zzz:

end of the day, its up to you, but with there loopholes, they would probably class it as a modification if you use autoglym, cause itll make your car shinier, therefore, more "nickable"

Dodge, don't get me wrong, I agree it doesn't make sense half the time.  But a cage is pretty obvious and, heaven forbid, if the car gets bent and inspected you're likely to get your policy voided if you haven't declared it.

It's the eternal balance between paying a higher premium and relaxing vs. keeping quiet and hope you don't have to make a claim on the policy.

The quick-shift is farcical I agree - but then if you pay peanuts you get monkeys.  Half the people in the call centres will barely be able to tell a Metro from a Mundano, so if you start telling them about exciting things like quick shifts you're bound to get them all worried !!  :D

Liverpool Victoria are worth a call re insurance - know a few people who've switched over to them recently.

I use them for my Scooby and they gave me the best quote anywhere I tried.

On the subject of mods. I have to agree that you MUST tell them modifications to the standard spec. including roll cages and strut braces ( my car comes as standard with a strut brace so no need to tell them ). Insurance companies will find any excuse to get out of paying up and it could easily be argued that an add on like a roll cage clearly indicates above average enthusiasm for fast driving so they need to consider this when quoting.

Don't get me wrong, I have no time for insurance companies BUT unless you nuts, you are not just buying a policy for the piece of paper but for the peace of mind .....

Have you tried Greenlight Insurance? I know they are one of the more accepting insurance companies with regards to modifications.

Worth a call or a look on their website, details can be found here : GreenLight

ok then, tell them, but when they want an increase in premium, argue the fact stating that it is a safety device, therefore, in the event of an accident, you will be less likely to be claiming for personal injury.

You dont have to pay extra for safety surely?

worth a try.

argue the fact stating that it is a safety device, therefore, in the event of an accident, you will be less likely to be claiming for personal injury.

I like your style .........  :D

ok then, tell them, but when they want an increase in premium, argue the fact stating that it is a safety device, therefore, in the event of an accident, you will be less likely to be claiming for personal injury.

This is NOT how insurance companies view roll cages, a mate fell into this trap when he fitted a roll cage to a Mk2 GTI Road/Track car. He had to take out special track insurance which is always the case, however they stung him for the roll bar as they did not view it as a safety device, their reasoning was that if you fitted a roll cage, you were prepared to drive fast and are therefore higher risk. I seem to remember him mentioning figures of about 20%....oouch!

I got stuck with the 'modified tag' with my scoob - it's a MY98, but had the prodrive rear spoiler fitted from new - which was fitted as standard to all MY99 cars - what do I do then - declare it & have my premium hiked or refused, or 'forget it' and risk a claim refusal? - nobody except a scooby anorack ( :blush: ) would even know!

P.S. - at the moment it is declared as a mod  :arse: but the AA don't seem to mind too much

Steve