Ebay/Paypal Scam

Messer

Just to let any users of ebay (sellers in particular) to be careful as I have been 'had' today.

I sold a mobile phone for my boss as a favour, as I have sold and bought quite a bit on ebay. I had a high bidder who contacted me and paid in to my paypal account the full amount quickly, I checked my PayPal account to confirm the payment was there and everything was confirmed and £305 was in my account ready for transfer.

I clicked to transfer the funds in to my current account and received an email from paypal saying that the request had been accepted and the funds should be transferred in to my bank in the next 4-5 days.

I then received a phonecall from the buyer who said he was in a rush as he was leaving the country on business in a couple of days and he bid on my phone as it was local so he could pick it up. I saw no problem with this as after all, he had paid me and the money was in my account. I took the phone and met up with him and thought that was the end.

I had an email from paypal over a day later telling me that I had been the recipient of fraudulent funds and there was nothing in my account to transfer and that my withsrawal request had been cancelled.

I have yet to hear back from paypal, but a word of warning to any ebay users as I am now £305 down!

:(  :(  :(  :(  :down:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

1st of all really bad luck.

how long are you at risk then by taking payment on paypal? sounds like a loopwhole then. did the buyer have history?

Dave

Been there done that lost the money. Mine was 2 months later.

YOU HAVE NO RIGHTS AT ALL .

Dont take big payments on paypal thats my advice

Paypal/Ebay protection schemes are as big a scam as the people the abuse them :(

They basically do sweet fa to help - hiding behind the clause that they only offer protection if their user agreements are not broken. Of course, Mr/Mrs Scammer is going to totally abide by the user agreement goodness me.

Messer thats really bad luck but to be honest it is your own fault. Never trust anybody you don't know. Especially with a story like that. Let nothing go until the cash is in your account. Don't trust anybody you don't know and that goes for small,medium and blue chip organisations. I'm sure you'll not make that mistake again. I did it once and it will never happen again.

If the guy was so desperate I would have taken details of where to send the phone to and split the cost of delivery with him. I'm sure you're thinking "its ok saying that now after the event" I agree, but at least now you'll know the next time. Don't trust anybody unless you have a thread to follow or they pay.

Anyway I suppose you'll have to wait and see what happens with paypal but again, really sorry especially with the amount involved. Same old thing tho' you try and do a favour for someone and it turns out ****e! How's your boss taken it?

Keep your pecker up bud

Buzz :(

... you're not £305 down, its just that your boss has lost his phone. Sounds like an insurance claim to me.

I'd better add one of these just to clarify that the above comment is for amusement only  :D  and not to be taken internally

Thats my point exactly, PayPal confirmed that the money was there, otherwise I wouldnt of done it!

Boss is fine about it he has cancelled the phone now and blocked the IMEI no. Still had no comeback from ebay or PayPal tho, its good to see why you have to pay to use thier services!

trouble is (or at least a big part of the trouble) that folks are getting particularly suceptable to phishing. IE someone will respond to an email appearing to ask them to confirm thier details thus giving away access to thier pay pal and ebay accounts amongst others normally via a simple con website or other means.

Some of the banks have even suspended web set up of new payments to overcome thier liabilities.

bad luck but... you paid to use a service in ebay and pay pal so you should be getting right up thier necks about it.

ebay owns paypal hence they push it so much.

I have had five credit card transactions this week at £300 a pop that have originated from false mastercards from the states.  The people wanted the goods to be delivered to uk addresses which after a bit of google wacking turned out to be export companies.  I had sent two out but after becoming suspicious of the new large orders managed to get them back again.  Of course the cards were going through the online payment gateways quite happily.

Its a con-world out there...

no you wont cos its IMEI is now blocked :p and it was a P900 which has no way apparantly of the theiving scum to over right the memory and change the IMEI as its burned in like a MAC address on a PC. If thats true of course??  ???  ???

no you wont cos its IMEI is now blocked

i believe they still work abroad though!

a blocked tri-band will still work in the states.... perhaps that was where he was leaving to ??