• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

New to Westfields

mr-rad

Hi Fellas. This is my first post so please treat me nice!

I have about 11k to spend on a Westie and wondered if any of you can help me with a quandry. Cosworth, XE or Zetec?

Will the Cossie be too much for me (slightly above average driver). I have not been keen on products from Vauxhall in the past and think possibly a zetec would be tame without money being spent.

Any help or experience would be helpfull.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mr-rad

• adhawkins

• studbuckle

• neilwillis

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome aboard :t-up:

Vx and Zetec are much of a muchness really. You'll get more power from a Vx cheaply, but they're slightly heavier. Both ideal engines to get started with Westfields.

Cosworth engined cars are relatively rare.

Whatever engine you pick will be a quantum leap in performance over anything you're likely to have driven before.

There's a very nice Vx engined car for sale at the moment for 10k...

That nice enough? ;)

Andy

For £11,000 you'll get a lot of car.   As for choice of engine, it all boils down to what you want to do with it.   For road use, either Zetec or VX would fit the bill.   The VX is allegedly cheaper to tune to more than 200 hp, but unless you want to get into sprinting that sort of power would be unnecessary.

Why not go along to your local area meeting, and have a look at what's out there.   I'm sure the local lads will show you theirs :0

Oh, and joining the club is a good move too  ;)  ;)

Cheers Andy

Have seen the Green one on here and yes it's a nice looking car. Why has it been widened at the front? This may seem obvious, and picky i may be it looks odd.

I know of a normally aspirated Cossie for the right money and wondered if it would be too much for normal use (ceramic clutch/switch fitted). I would like to get into the track day scene and for that it seems the perfect tool.

Wide track suspension is a common modification carried out for cars in the Speed Series. I presume it gives better handling. It's certainly not an unusual thing to do.

Any Westfield is ideal for track days. Chances are you'll be quicker than most of the other cars there (Porsches, BMWs and the like).

I bought my 2 litre Zetec engined car about 18 months ago, and the only 'performance' mod I've done is changed to an LSD. I still can't drive the car to its full capability.

Andy

Thanks Neil

Is there a club in North Yorkshire?

I was at Newark at the weekend hoping to join WSCC but there was no club stand as you were all away so will do this by post soon.

Yorkshire is quite an active area I think. Look on the main WSCC page under 'Local Events' for details of your local area.

Andy

Mr Rad

All I can say is get a buy Willy's car before is goes. You will be pushed to find better for that sort of money.

:D  :p  :D  :p  :D

I am trying Willy and for NO comission.

:p  :p

Where abouts in North Yorkshire?

You have a choice between the N.E. area run by Nick Algar meeting in various places around Gerodie land, the Yorkshire area being run by Terry Everall meeting East of Leeds and then the East Yorkshire mob run by Kevin Stabler who meet at the north end of the Humber Bridge

I am trying Willy and for NO comission.

I'm surprised it hasn't gone yet...

If I thought I could get away with an aeroscreen, I'd be tempted myself...

Andy

Atmo Cossie :t-up:

The clutch can always be switched for something less stressy if required. Depending on how much power it has, and wether it's on injection or not will determine if it's a nunney cat around town, or not. If it's on TB's, putting out around 200bhp, it'll fine, and damn fast. I have a 235bhp Cossie in my narrow car, and on carbs (48'S), it's prety flat off cam, and fairly mad when they come on. However, the combination of massive carbs, poor low down response, and a "long first" gearbox would make town drivng a pain, so for that, I have a ~190bhp injected Vx car (the one in the picture) :)

I'd buy it over the Vx, but the Vx will push it hard in the "what to buy" stakes... and I could bore you to death with info on the Atmo Cosworth.

Wide track is an excelent addition to any Westfield, and improves the handling greatly. Adding ARB's will also help.

As a matter of interest, is the Cossie car red, by any chance?

Unfortunatly i'm not in a position to buy this week. Remorgage (to build extension and garage, oh and buy westie) completes in next two weeks!

I would also like to sell my road car first although not critical the extension can wait.

Seat Ibiza anybody?

Blatman the Cossie is red white n blue and on throttle bodies. Currently it's mapped to produce 200bhp but comes with maps upto 300 ish.

I like the idea of turning up to a trackday (not my first) and plugging in the laptop and saying "what the hell to economy".

I still think widetrack cars look odd and spindley!

Andy,

Alot of interest in Willy's car so I should think it will be gone very shortly.

Wide track looks great when they are following you.

:D  :p  :D  :p  :D  :p