Grumble, Whinge Moan

karlgurney

I've been trying to get a loan for our wedding next month, not much only a couple of grand.  But everywhere i've tried they have all refused me, even my own bank.  I've had my credit report sent to me and there is nothing adverse on it.  When i spoke to tesco loans today they confirmed that i had a good credit rating and it may be because a previous tennant had bad debts at the property.  I'm starting to panic now because i have never been refused credit before.  Is there nothing i can do about this i've written to the credit reference agency thats all i can think of.

:angry:

It is entirely possible that a previous tenant had "bad debts" at your address, and it remains flagged up as a possible risk by the credit agencies. When you get your credit report, if that's what shows, a simple letter to them will clear it up. Other things to note. Not being on the electoral roll for the address will count against you. Being a "short term" tenant (under 12 months) may count against you. In such situations (tenant, not home owner) having an un-secured loan may well be more difficult, and almost certainly more expensive, I'm sorry to say...

The westy is staying, for ever.  Got some money raised already just a bit short, bl**** frustrating i've never had problems with credit before.  Couldn't believe it earlier today some company offered me a loan but at 34% interest no thank you  :angry:

:0

34%!

That's mental...

Andy

Have you thought about credit cards? I applied for an Egg card yesterday (egg.com) on the 'net, took about 10 minutes and it's interest free until February 2005.

Richard.

I would only have a credit card as a last resort but it looks like its going that way.

I don't know why - it's the only way to borrow money with no interest (unless you find a benevolent family member).

If you're worried about going mad once you receive the card cut it up as soon as you've paid for your wedding. Make a regular monthly payment the same as you would with a normal loan and close the account once it's paid off. If the interest free period ends before the balance is paid shift it to another lender.

Richard.

I know its the cheapest way to borrow money but i don't trust myself with one  :D  

it does make sense though cheers

Karl

Credit cards are also a pretty essential item, especially if you're buying expensive/important items. It gives you a certain level of consumer protection which you just don't get when paying by cash or cheque. I buy most things for the cars, as well as pay for servicing etc on the CC, because if there are any problems, I have the comfort of knowing I can get it sorted quite easily. It's also handy for buying things from the garden centre/Habitat/M&S etc. For instance, we bought a big made-to-measure mirror recently. Paid for it on the CC because I knew that if I broke it on the way home, it's insured...

In this day and age, it's a bit of an essential, IMHO.... like you though, I can be a bit of a big spender, so I make sure that the limit applied to the card is less than my months salary. Works for me...

I think having credit cards is also likely to improve your credit rating. I've got dozens of the things (I'm a bit of a rate tart) and never seem to have any trouble getting more.

Andy