crackdown small number plates!!

carbeh

Well fitted my small(er) number plate on the front. Still correct size at back.

Very next weekend, got stopped after one of those police vans with the 2 cameras out the back could not read the number. North Wales policy is to automatically issue £30 fixed pen for unreadable (or missing). I got the impression it was to pay for the 6 police cars and at least 8 ocifers for the day.

Ocifer who stopped me admitted did not know how I should fit full size, and suggested a stick on one (as long as reflective back). He did not really seem to know rules though and said his sergant told him to pulll me over.

Seemed very interested in my busa, but I did not feel in the mood for talking about the car at the time.

Anyone out there been stopped for stick on plate? Surely numbers go round the nose and can also not be read by van cameras?

Anyone else for small or missing plate on front of westy?

What's your experience?

Oh, well we live and learn.   ;)  :blush:

Have to stick to the non-aero full size from now on.

PS - just my luck, MP!

I'm just about to put a stick on one on mine...will have to check it's correctly visible before I actually fit it (I do have a full size plate on beneath the nose at the moment).

:arse:

Andy

I got stopped a couple of weeks ago, the copper didn't have a clue. I don't have a front number plate, never had one even on my last car, spoils the looks :) I told him it didn't need one because it's a kit car it only has to comply to pre 1978 legislations. Bull sh*t I know, but got away with it, "okay sir, sorry for wasting you time".  :D  :D  :D

Obviously coppers up here have much more important things to worry about, after all it's only a £30 fine, they're better going for speeding tickets.   :p  :p

Also passed 2 MOT's in my last kit car without a front one.

IIRC... The front number plate has to be mounted horizontally... Obviously, one of the stick on plates on the nose cone would not conform to that.

Mark

I assume you mean vertically...

I think I've seen 'on the first suitable vertical surface' quoted before (and there aren't any on a Westfield)...

Andy

You're quite right I did mean vertical.... I suspect the amount of wine I've just consumed & lack of sleep after the weekend might have something to do with the F$(k up!!! :p

M

:)

That's Ok, it's happened to us all.

:t-up:

Andy

I don't have a front plate at all, saved the £20 it costs for a stick on plate to pay the first fine.  Driven past three police cars, one even followed me for a couple of miles after having seen the front of the car and still didn't pull me.

Just fortunate he didn't see me a couple of minutes earlier  :D

got stopped after one of those police vans with the 2 cameras out the back could not read the number

Just how small was/is your plate?

Interesting to know what size they can't read...... ;)  :devil:

Interesting note on the DVLA web site. I can't find the "1st available vertical surface" thing that I've mentioned, and had mentioned to me, in the past. What I did find was this though:

Display of Vehicle Registration Marks on Imported Vehicles

(which have a restricted space for a standard sized number plate)

Certain imported vehicles may be permitted to display number plates with smaller characters if:

The vehicle does not have European Community Whole Vehicle Type Approval

AND

The vehicle's construction/design cannot accomodate standard size number plates

It's the last sentence that's interesting. I realise that this section relates to imported cars, BUT, I can also imagine that a decent solicitor could use this as some sort of reasonable grounds to argue that a stick on number plate on a Westfield *should* be just as acceptable as a non standard plate on an imported car..... IMHO......  

FWIW, both my cars have stick on plates, and I've had no trouble with plod (except in France.....) or at MOT time.....

Mainly (I think) ground clearance, and some drag.

Andy

Drag is not an issue. Knocking it off and potentially damaging the nose cone, is....