Just done a trial fit up.....

Greenstreak-Andy D

I have just fitted a 16V XE into my SEW. Looks fantastic!

A couple of obs,

The oil filter looks very close to the front chassis member, the box section behind the rack. I don't have the engine mounts yet, but do i need to do a mod in this area?

Is it best to fit the oil cooler?

Have fitted a bat-wing Manta sump, it looks about 4.5inches from the deck, is that right?

I know most of my questions will be answered when i get the engine mounts, but any advice?

Thanks

Andy

PS My membership has not yet allowed me to place an ad, but does anyone have an exhaust manifold for XE?

Depending on where you put the engine it can be close to the chassis rail, best off with a short filter or remote one.  Best to get the engine as far back in the bay as possible, improves the handling, does mean you will need a custom made prop.

Most common sumps are the QED, SBD or Westfield item, all of which are them same.  They are cast aluminium and take around 5 litres of oil.

Ive not got an oil cooler on my XE but is in the list of upgrades to  do in the future.

IMHO unless you really intend to push the engine to it's limits, there is no need for an oil cooler-even then it's questiionable. If you really intend to drive that hard, you should really be looking at dry sumps... Just keep the engine on good quality oil, and change regularly. Removing the satndard oil filter sandwich will gain you more filter clearence if you have not already done so. Just get the threaded stud thing (excuse my decription!;) that the oil filter screws onto from an eight valve motor, and screw in place of the sandwich.

Ditto what Leon said about the sumps. The unmodified Manta sump is unlikely to give adequate clearence at correct running height. You quote 4.5 inches from the deck, which is fine, but everything else being equal, the weight of the engine will drop the chassis running height quite a bit. Also, the engine tilts forward slightly when installed, so if the engine is level in the chassis at the moment, there is potentailly another inch you will lose.

HTH Stu.