Taken the Plunge!

Mitchamidilly

Hello everyone,

Well I have taken the plunge. I ordered my stater kit yesterday and my new shed is due tomorrow! (just need to clear my garage out now) After taking advice from my first two posts I decided on the following:

Must have Zetec 2.0l (cannot afford new)

Must have the chrome package

My daughter chose red! (I will try not to refer too much to Post Office Red)!

Now looking for engine and donar parts....

I am new to the Zetec engine and would welcome some advice. Should I go for a pre 95 engine without a cat or should I just look for a new engine with low mileage? All those sensors worry me a little so what should I ask of the breakers? (I imagine they just rip the lot out and leave any required sensrs)  I used a web service and was offered a complete cable gearbox and engine package for £350 on a P plate with 59k (would welcome comment here). Could I fit carbs to a post 95 engine? Also I need to prove the age of the engine and breaker do not seem to have the V5 document available. Are Ford able to send a letter to prove the age?

Sorry for all the questions and I know I have a long way to go but I would like to be sure of engine spec at an early stage.

Cheers,

Mitch

Mitch,

The engine age and cat etc is all dependant on which form of fuelling you are going to use. If you are going the carb route then you will need the pre 95 engine in order to pass the emission test at the SVA.

If you are going with fuel injection then you can use a newer engine but will need a cat.  You can obtain the proof of age letter from the Ford technical department, you just need to provide them with the engine number.

My car runs on carbs due to build budget but if I had the choice then I would choose fuel injection.

Which gearbox did you stipulate when ordering the chassis?  The type 9 is the best one to go for rather than the MT75 if you ever want to change the ratios once upgradeitis sets in :D

Hope this is of some help

Rich.

Just to add that the engine age is indicated by the first two letters of the engine number. There is a chart in the Burton Power catalogue to get from letters to year. It's worth checking this before you buy an engine.

Of course you can always change to a newer engine after SVA. The car still doesn't need a cat as long as it went through SVA with a pre-Aug 95 engine.

I'd certainly be inclined to go for a pre-95 engine if you can find one with a reasonable mileage. This is the only way if you want to run carbs.

Kevin

Silly question as new to the subject.

You say that to have carbs you will ned a pre 95 engine to pass the emmission test.

Is this because you can't tune carbs enough to get the best out of them and still pass the emmission test?

The reason i ask is i saw a 2002 reg. car running on carbs with a 95 zetec engine.The carbs had to be "tuned" down at MOT time to pass.

Thanks

Simon

To register a new car without a CAT, the engine must be pre-95. You can't (I don't think) put a CAT on a car running carbs.

Andy

Which gearbox did you stipulate when ordering the chassis?

I did not stipulate a gearbox type and was not asked? The description of my chassis is: SEi Chassis Kit F/M Pedals EPX. Will the type 9 fit the Zetec? What are the differences?Weight seems to be a big deal and I am sure to get obsessive about keeping weight down.

The standard equipment nowadays is a Zetec and MT75 box.   Luckily, the tunnel for that is wider than the Type 9, so you will have lots of choice later.   The total weight for the standard set up (Zetec, MT75, Sierra diff) will be about 675 kilos.   It can be bought down a lot if you try hard, but even at that, for road use, it'll have bags of grunt.

The problem with carbs and cats is that the cat will choke to death almost straight away because carbs are far less precise than injection systems.   It's a no brainer really, if you want carbs, you have to go for a pre '95 lump, injection - the choice is wider.

What I opted to do with mine was get it on the road with an old engine for SVA, and leave myself the option to get a replacement - completely re-built and tuned in the near future.   It also lets you get more of an idea of what spec you really want.

So far, it's on it's third roll bar, second diff, second dash board, and next year it'll get the new engine package.