Engine Question!

rich101

Hi all,

I'm somewhat to westfields but am on the market for buying a secondhand one hopefully within a few months.  I'd love to buy a proper kit and do the full build myself but I've nowhere to keep all the parts.

Anyhoo, what I want to know is....will a cosworth engine (2lt turbo) fit into a normal se/sei body, or will I need a wide version to do this? I've been trying to figure it out by looking at as many engine bay pictures as I can, but thought I'd give up and do the sensible thing - ask!

Also, a lot of the cars are on a 'Q' plate, what sort of emissions regulations do these cars need to pass??

Thanks in advance,

Rich

Far from being an expert, but... Dunno about the SE but a Cossy engine will fit in a wide body, also did you know that all Westfields are now built as a wide body, the narrow body are generally the "pre lit" ones  (Is this right... think it is??!;)???

Anyhow, the Q plate emission thing.... Emissions are goverened by your engine age, when it comes to the SVA test you need to produce a letter from the manufacture stating the engine number and age, Vauxhall charge £50 for this!!  Pre 95 and you don't need a CAT.

The Q plate just signifies a car made using parts from different cars amoung other things.   :)

Anyhow, the Q plate emission thing.... Emissions are goverened by your engine age, when it comes to the SVA test you need to produce a letter from the manufacture stating the engine number and age, Vauxhall charge £50 for this!!  Pre 95 and you don't need a CAT.

The Q plate just signifies a car made using parts from different cars amoung other things.

This also isn't quite right. I think the real answer is that all 'amateur built' cars (Q plate or not) are exempt from the emissions tests (they are to be treated as pre-75 cars or something), unless they have emissions on their V5.

Andy

This also isn't quite right. I think the real answer is that all 'amateur built' cars (Q plate or not) are exempt from the emissions tests (they are to be treated as pre-75 cars or something), unless they have emissions on their V5.

Andy

Hmmm, didn't think this was the case, I spoke to my local SVA in Bristol who said basically what I posted above, maybe this is the case if you don't have the engines V5 perhaps??

I've just been through SVA 3 months ago and i have emissions on my V5, its a 1983 engine of which i proved the age to them.  This confused me as i was under the impression that all kitcars on Q plates was a visible smoke test only? all this has been covered in a previous thread here

But the answer your looking for is yes a cossie turbo will fit in a westy i'm pretty sure it will even fit in the narrow bodied ones, its not that easy to do i think space is pretty limited and theres a lot more plumbing than on a standard engine(turbo, intercooler etc)

Karl

*edited to answer original question  :D *

Not sure if this document helps, but I found this a few years ago, it's an extract from the MOT inspection manual, it explains the emission testing of kit cars. Don't ask me any questions.... I only found it, I didn't write it :D  :D  Hope it helps anyway.

MOT INSPECTION MANUAL EXTRACT

Graeme

Yep, that was my understanding. The important bit is in the box in the bottom right hand corner.

However, now that they're putting emissions figures on the V5, that might not apply in those circumstances. I guess once the MOT centres are computerised, they'll be able to look up the limits for each car whether or not you've got the V5 with you.

Andy

Aye, it is a few years ago now.

Just checked my V5 document, phew it doesn't have the emission figure on it, despite it being registered on a new plate just last year.

G

I have a "Q" plate and emissions stated on the V5. The garage that I have used for the last 3 MOT's does not even perform the visible smoke test let alone stick a sensor up my pipe ( ooo -err missus).

*****WARNING WARNING *****Hijack*****

I got a new plate (04) with no emission data on the V5... Those that have emissions on the document have you got a comment in the notes section like: "Kit-built from new parts" or some such?

Who takes a V5 to the MOT tester anyway?

However, once MOT stations are computerised (coming soon I believe) then they'll have access to this information themselves.

Andy

Jeez wouldnt like to try fit a cossy turbo lump in to a narrow, my friend has the factory built cosworth (ZEi220 I think they were called) That has a different scuttle to give more room, and it still looks like its been shoe horned in.

But saying that  :love:  :love:  :love:  :love:  :love:  :love:  :love:

Thanks for all your comments, I think I'll hold out for a wide car just to be on the safe side!

Has anyone got any recommendations for a good radiator too (while I'm at it!!;)?