5th Gear slipping

alastair

Hi Guys

Sadly the  Westfield I was looking to buy seems to have a gear box problem! The garage have found  a broken weld on the linkage (i.e the gear lever wasn't pushing the linkage over into gear) but on repairing this and taking the car for a test drive he found the gear stick kept dropping out of 5th gear.

Has anyone experienced this and do you know what it could be????:oops:

Could the gear box knackered ?

Cheers

Alastair

Sorry me again.

The owner seems to think tuning a rod leading to the 5th gear (even a mynute amount) would stop the 5th gear falling out

thoughts?

is this possible?

or is he making excuses

Al

Al

Could you give us a bit more info on the car i.e. what engine/gearbox it's got?

Andy :t-up:

She's a 1991 narrow body with a Fiat 2 litre twin cam. Believed to be a Fiat box too

what ya thinking?

Sorry me again.

The owner seems to think tuning a rod leading to the 5th gear (even a mynute amount) would stop the 5th gear falling out

thoughts?

is this possible?

or is he making excuses

Al

or worn synchro on 5th gear  :(

It's not an engine / gearbox combination that's common in Westies. Maybe there's a Fiat forum somewhere who would have more experience with this gearbox.

I would say that, provided there's not an obvious explanation such as the stick contacting the chassis in 5th gear and knocking it out of gear, something within the gearbox is not right. Whether this is a wear issue or an adjustment issue is not that important since it will be an engine-out job to get to the bottom of it.

Depending on your attitude to engine-out jobs you might want to either walk away or negotiate a discount!

Kevin

Cheers

Kevein

It would seem the owner has recognised the problem and is looking to get the box out for sending away.

Post work, unfortunately he feels he will have to put the price up to cover the necessary work.

Al

Post work, unfortunately he feels he will have to put the price up to cover the necessary work.

That doesn't sound on to me, that implies he reduced the cost of the car cos he knew the gearbox was dodgy...

Andy

Andy

Very good point - and I would be intigued to hear what your valuation would be for a Ferrari Red narrow body 1991 car fitted with a very nice Fiat 2litre Twin Cam, 2x45's and in immaculate exterior condition. No problems on MOT test whatsoever - just a slipping 5th gear and some replacement seats needed.

Bear in mind I haggled from an asking price of 6k down to 5k.

I sell powerboats for a living and I'm well aware that a toy like this is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it.

Having said all of this - I like it and i'd be prepared to pay £5,500 for it when box work is complete.

Thoughts?

Al

ps - this could be an interesting thread I feel!

As you say, the value of the car is based on two things

a) What he wants to sell it for

b) What you're prepared to pay.

Sounds in the right ball park to me though.

Andy

Your prepaired to pay 500.00 more for the box repaired? What else is the seller hiding, How much are reconditioned Fiat boxes?

???

I'm sure this car was for sale when i started looking for a Westy (around 8 months ago) i think it was on Auto trader or Piston heads web site.

If it is the same one it was on for about £7500 and the picture of it looked good ???

Just my thoughts but.... walk away.  In line with the nice things on the car, 5 speeds in the gearbox must be included.

I'd be inclined to walk away or beat the owner down a bit based on the dodgy gearbox. If he is going to sort it out, he may well do so by the cheapest route possible just to get shot of it, which might well still leave you with a problem.

Kevin