which zetec?

rug

Hi!

I am new here  :p

I live in sweden and I am currently planning my westfield build (and saving up more ££). First I wanted to get a duratec engine, but the price of getting one of these were WAY over my budget.. They seen kind of hard to find in breakeryards as well... So, a Zetec will do  ;)   A quick internet search and I found loads of them. Nut which one? Most westfields I have seen use the Zetec E with the silver top. The Zetec R have a more rouned black cover. I read somewhere that the R is a bit different. More metal between bores and different placement for the oilfilter. Is this thing hevier? Which one should I be looking for?

Carl Wahlin

Welcome aboard Carl.

While I can't help out with your question, I thought I'd say hello :)

Is it me, or are there an awful lot of 'new' names showing up at the moment? The roads will be full of Westfields at this rate :t-up:

Just one suggestion, try doing a search Carl (button at top right). You might be able to find the answer to your question that way.

Andy

Hi Carl,

You will find that most aftermarket tuning parts are for the Zetec E, handy when upgrading your engine.

Rich.

Main difference AFAIK is that the Zetec E had hydraulic lifters and the Zetec R had solid lifters.  I think that the diameter of the lifters may have changed as well?

Also the water pump arrangement changed from the E to the R version?  Don't ask me what the change was though.

Thanks everyone!

That's what I thought.. more parts for the E. I'll look for a duratec for a while longer, and if I can't find one for a decent price (think they wanted £1250 for one out of a crashed mondeo at one breaker!!;). Zetec Es seem "cheap" though ;)

Carl

As said already the 'R' has solid followers.It also has larger inlet valves and different valve guides,which was a problem for the earlier 'E's with valves sticking.The 'R's will be newer in the breakers,so you will possibly get a fresher engine.Mine was only 3ooo miles old.

As a RHD car the oil filter is very difficult to get in and requires a renault 5 filter,but you being LHD won't be an issue.the drive belt isn't an issue.If you go that route,will tell you which goes where.Mine was fitted with a fiesta alternator,to which I have the part numbers etc.The sump is available from Raceline and is slightly different from the earlier engines.Mine on Throttle Bodies with emerald ecu is 180 bhp.No mods internally other than uprated big end bolts.

As said already the 'R' has solid followers.It also has larger inlet valves and different valve guides,which was a problem for the earlier 'E's with valves sticking.The 'R's will be newer in the breakers,so you will possibly get a fresher engine.Mine was only 3ooo miles old.

As a RHD car the oil filter is very difficult to get in and requires a renault 5 filter,but you being LHD won't be an issue.the drive belt isn't an issue.If you go that route,will tell you which goes where.Mine was fitted with a fiesta alternator,to which I have the part numbers etc.The sump is available from Raceline and is slightly different from the earlier engines.Mine on Throttle Bodies with emerald ecu is 180 bhp.No mods internally other than uprated big end bolts.

Great!

I'll see what I can get and if I get the R I will get back to you. I might start sourcing parts this summer. But.. that depends on how much work my unborn son will be ;)

Carl

I have got a late model Ford salvage breakers company next door to me at work.  I've got them looking out of new model 2 litre Mondeo's with Duratec engine.  They reckon about £850 for the engine.  

I'll post on here if they get any in.