Potential Competitor

the bear

I know I have missed the boat for this year but I am looking at the preperation for both me and the car for next year with regard to competing in the speed series.

I have some real numpty questions but the answers could save me a lot of hassle and cost.

Me.

1 Do I need a competition licence?

2 Do I need instruction first?

3 Race suit, Proban or Nomex?

4 Underwear , nomex or normal?

5 Boots FIA approved or not?

Car

6 What class 1700 xflow on road Yoko's with an aeroscreen?

7 What will I be competing against?

8 Fire extinguisher, hand held or plumbed in and what capacity?

9 Battery cut off switch required or not and if yes where?

10 Normal or RAC roll bar?

11 Numbers on car?

12 Scrutineer stickers required?

I am guessing that these will all be in the regs somewhere but what do I need to get me started. I know about the MSA and the blue book but have not read one and I know the speed series has classes and regs but I want to use this year as preraration so your indulgence will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Mal :t-up:

If you go to the www.wscc.co.uk home page, click on "speed series" on the left - you will find a beginners guide to sprinting and also the 2004 regs - both of which will answer most of your questions  :t-up:

Scan read the info but it appears a couple of questions remain

Class A road going numptie up to 1800

or

Class E modified road up to 1800

1700 x flow with areoscreen.

Does this mean I will be up against a Megablade or two.

I know the main competition is me angainst me and how much I can improve event on event but it would be nice to know a bit more about the other cars in the relevant class.

The other is without access to the blue book what Yoko's are list 1a  and 1B

cheers

1. Yes. Non Race National B. No medical required......

2. No, but it wouldn't be a bad idea, especially if you've never been on any sort of track before.

3. Nomex, 3 layer. It's a no brainer....

4. I wear Calvin Kleins or DKNY.......

5. Wear any sort of footwear you want, but Kart boots are cheaper than race boots, although race boots are fireproof.

6 + 7 Class E. You'll be against anything with an engine of under 1800cc, aeroscreens and list 1B (sticky) tyres, normally Yoko AO32's or ACB10's. "Normal" road tyres won't cut it.......

8. I don't carry one. They aren't compulsory.

9. Not compulsory. I don't have one. If fitted, you must be able to reach it when strapped in to teh car in your normal seating position.

10. Not compulsory in road going classes, BUT, fit an RAC bar or a full cage. DO NOT think that a standard Westfield roll bar offers any protection in a roll over, 'cos it doesn't.

11. Yep, and they'll be different for every event. Use black numbers on a light coloured car, or white numbers on a dark car. It's not necessary to fit number roundels or squares, but you can if you want.

12. Only for the ignition switch. You need to show which way is off.

Also, you'll need an oil breather/catch tank of at least 1L capacity.

You must put yellow tape around the negative battery cable.

You'll need to fit a beam breaker to the front of the car, to activate the timing lights. Details are in the Blue Book.

Although not compulsory, I'd strongly reccommend fitting a 4 point harness as a minimum, with an aircraft release buckle.

The other is without access to the blue book what Yoko's are list 1a  and 1B

Yoko whats ???

Cross posting........

1B Yokos are AO32, AO21, A008R's and AO48.

1A's would be A520's, A539's.......

Yes, the 'blades will be in your class....

Cheers Blatters and Mrs Westy

SWMBO has just told me that it's got to be FIA boots as she doesnt rate my dancing abilities with burnt feet.

Still its nice to know she cares :D

As far as the ignition off, do I guess correctly that putting the appropriate sticker on the scuttle, drivers side showing off being towards the driver is good enough?

Yup, although I'd put it on the dash as near to the key as poss, meself.......

if you can get yourself up to Curborough on Sunday 20 June to see loads of SS sprint cars in action and you can have a real good look around and ask (almost) any questions you wish  :D  :D  :D  :D  ;) of 99.9% of the drivers  :D  :D  :devil:  :D

Mark

Can you send me some details like times and directions. costs for a non competitor etc.

Thanks

Mal

Cost for a non-competitor is 'nowt' as far as I know. There's a load of stuff going on the Saturday, and a round of the Speed Series on the Sunday.

More info here and here.

Andy

the bear,

I marshalled at the WSCC Curborough sprint a couple of years ago before I started sprinting and found it very useful, especially the start line marshalling. You will also find that your fellow marshalls may have some sprinting experience or knowledge so you can have a good yarn with them through the day.

Would therefore highly recommend it.

Ian