Battery Master Switch

Rich_No80

I have an FIA type battery master switch with the two big terminals for the positve lead (in & out) plus a 4-pin block in the centre for other terminals.

I'm told the 4-pin jobby should be wired with a resisitor to protect the alternator.

Does anyone have any wiring instructions and parts details for things like the resistor etc ?

Thanks !

Rich

Firstly n.b. that there are two separate poles on the low current switch: one set makes (i.e. closes) when the switch is ON (i.e. high current switch closed) and the other set breaks (i.e. opens).

The set that close when master ON should be used to control the supply of power to ECU, Fuel Pump and Coil (via fuses obviously) so that all those circuits become dead when the master is OFF.

The set that open when the master is ON should be used to connect the switched (i.e. alternator side) side of the high current switch to earth via the resistor.

The logic is that the resistor dumps alternator output to earth as soon as the Master is switched OFF. This means that the resistor should not get hot in normal running. If it does, you've wired it in wrongly.

Hope that makes sense, suggest pm me if not.....