pc problem

wrightster

my home pc (windows 2000) is showing a blue screen with INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE and will not go past this screen to boot up, any advice please (i am pc illiterate as well)  :p

also i am thinking about buying a new PC soon any reccomendations i only want to spend upto £600 and i do want a desktop for basic home use - not a laptop

thanks

What were you doing the last time you used the PC? Did you install anything recently? Did you have a power cut or a crash?

Can you use any of the boot options to boot into the last known good configuration, safe mode or VGA mode (I'm guessing that this error comes up before you get to that point).

If you have the original OS disk, it might be worth trying to use the 'repair' option to see if that fixes it?

As to a new PC, take a look around, you should easily get one in that price range. We use Dells at work, but don't take that as necessarily being a recommendation. Best bet to be honest is find someone knowledgeable (not me really, I don't 'do' hardware :)) to help you spec out a machine and put it together yourself.

Putting it together is simple, it's just making sure you get the right combination of components really.

Andy

Putting it together is simple,

Oh how you belittle the hours i've spent putting your pc's together.

Paul, at what point does the error come up? Blue screen of death means that at least the operating system is found on a disk somewhere so should be fixable

Si, its the 1st screen that comes up after the booting up screen , the only keys i can press are f8 or f10, i have installed a sony camera imaging program recently as i bought a new camera.....

if i try booting it up again it will get to the screen were it show swindows is setting up but just gets stuck there ....and then its back to the blue screen on the next try etc etc  ???

Oh how you belittle the hours i've spent putting your pc's together.

And dropping them :0

I don't belittle it, but I doubt you'd argue that the putting together bit is difficult. It's the component selection that's the important part (which is the bit I get you to do for me ;))

Andy

Sounds like eithier the HD has died or the mbr/fat is corrupt.

You could try a reinstall if you still have the original windows disk or recovery CD.

If you need any advice on upgrading or building a new machine please feel free to drop me a pm .

Regards

Persil

Found some info here which might help: here

I had this problem just two weeks ago when fitting a new hard disk and trying to install Win2k to an old Dell Pentium2 machine at work. Exactly as you describe, blue screen and same error message. But when I removed the hard disk from PC case, it would boot up fine. Well, would you believe that I found that having the HD screwed/secured tightly to the case chassis caused this problem! If just secured very lightly it booted up fine. I could not believe it myself! Very strange.

steve

Sounds like the screws might have been too long, and were going right through the drive case and touching something they shouldn't.

Andy

Andy - Yes, something like that!  :oops:

Well, the drive doesn't seem to suffered any permanent damage.

steve