Fuelling the 16V........

Greenstreak-Andy D

So i need a swirlpot for the injection and carbs?

Where do i get one, what am i looking for, where do you fit it?

Also the tank, mine is fitted with a single feed below the level sender. Will i need to mod the tank to give a return?

Just sussing it out before spannering big time!

Andy

The swirlpot and return are both needed with injection, but not on carbs. ) SBD have some diagrams of the layout on their web site.

(PS turned up a clutch fulcrum pin for the bellhousing over the weekend, yours if you want it - don't want anything for it)

A swirl pot is not normally required for a carb installation. Carbs have enough reserve of fuel in their float chambers to survive any short term loss of fuel supply due to cornering. etc.

Injection systems are another matter and you will need either a fuel tank with a sump in the bottom to reduce fuel surge on cornering or an external swirl pot with a standard tank.

It sounds like you have the standard carb tank, so assuming you are contemplating an injection upgrade, your options are to change the tank or have your current one modified to include a sump containing the fuel pickup and return connections or to use the tank as is and use an external swirl pot.

I have just done the latter. I used the original red top fuel pump to fill a swirl pot in the engine bay and ran a return line back to the tank from this (so yes, you will need to add a return to the tank). I just added a bulkhead union to the top of the tank.

The high pressure circuit comprises a high pressure fuel pump in the engine bay drawing fuel from the swirl pot, through the fuel rail and fuel pressure regulator and back to the swirl pot.

Swirl pots are available from a few suppliers, SBD being one example.

Kevin

Thanks for all your advice, not sure about keeping the injection now. I will be sure when i do a trial fitup!