keeping car dry on a trailer

fordy

My first time this weekend towing a trailer (to llandow) with the westy on it - as the weather forecast is not looking to hot, i was wondering what i can do to keep the car as dry as possible if towing in the rain ??  It does have full weather gear - is putting this up the best option?, or should i get a decent car cover - although im concerned how much this would flap around at 60mph?

Many thanks

Chris

Chris.

Don't tie a car cover to it whilst you are towing !

I tries this on my first car and the cover scratched the gel coat.

I would cover the seats and wrap them in some bin liners tank taped on to keep the rain out of them and a bag over the steering wheel.

As you say you have got wet gear I would put that up as well.

As you will be in the tow car with space make sure you put in lots of old towles to mop up as well.

HTH

Rob

( Long term the best advice is to put a cover over the trailer.  It makes life SO easy ! )

If no tonneau cover then weather gear should work OK, might be worth putting a bit of tape round the front edge & bottoms of the doors as water can creep in there.

Trackday in the Wet.................. ???  :D  :oops:  :arse:  :D  :D  :D

I always use my sidescreens and soft-top - only time I do is when on the trailer  :D  :D  :D  That's fine no problems  :D  :D

Don't get putting a cover over it whilst towing  :down:  :down:  :bangshead: as Rob notes it'll scratch your car to bits and you'll be towing the biggest drag of a parachute you can imagine  :D  :D  ;)  ;)

Only way to keep it fully dry is a covered trailer - speak to Robbo  :D  ;)

Chris,

There's nowt wrong with a car cover. You just need to cover the car with a decorators dust sheet first to stop rubbing. You then need to cover the cover with a cargo net. This stops the cover ballooning and flapping etc. You can buy them from a company called Cover Systems.Do a web search for their details. They also make tailored covers. I have a cargo net surplus to requirements and I am also at Llandow on Monday. You are welcome to it if I can remember to bring it. I no longer use it as I now have a covered trailer. It worked well before though. I'm car number 91 but I have been put in the wrong class. I will be in the same class as you on the day.

As an alternative, Terry Nightingale used to sell covers specially for trailering cars. I think he had some in his closing down sale a little while ago. I've no idea whether they were any good or not but he claimed they were.

John

Stop Press;

Heat wave to hit South Wales on Sunday and Monday - bring your sunscreen.

It never rains in Wales:laugh:

I'm packing my trunks and flip flops

No Harm in being an optimist?

There are bound to be breaks in the gloom.  Just glad I am not running slicks on Monday.

I'm hoping for nice weather too, want an excuse for a run out :)

Andy

Chris,

There's nowt wrong with a car cover. You just need to cover the car with a decorators dust sheet first to stop rubbing. You then need to cover the cover with a cargo net. This stops the cover ballooning and flapping etc. You can buy them from a company called Cover Systems.Do a web search for their details. They also make tailored covers. I have a cargo net surplus to requirements and I am also at Llandow on Monday. You are welcome to it if I can remember to bring it. I no longer use it as I now have a covered trailer. It worked well before though. I'm car number 91 but I have been put in the wrong class. I will be in the same class as you on the day.

As an alternative, Terry Nightingale used to sell covers specially for trailering cars. I think he had some in his closing down sale a little while ago. I've no idea whether they were any good or not but he claimed they were.

John

Thanks John.  I maywell take that off your hands - ill see how it goes with the weather gear on the way there.  It looks like the weather forecast is improving each day, so maybe when Monday comes, it'll be OK - heres hoping.

Ill be car 59.

cheers

Chris

Chris,

I guess we missed each other despite me bringing it with me. I was a little pi$$ed most of the day after having a game of bash on the back straight during second practice and then the traditional welsh weather coming to cheer me up along with a welsh scrutineer bloke and the clerk of the course for moving class at signing on and then wanting to run in class order. I will be at Curborough in June if you still want it?

John