• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

adsl

JonnyBoy

Back home for a couple of weeks.. but whilst i'm here.. aside from doing lots of miles :D i've persuaded mum and dad to move into the broadband age!

Whats new in the adsl world?

whos got the best packages?

looked through adslguide.org but for example the pipex list says a 512/256 connection is available for 17 ukp pm, however their website lists that cost connection as 150kbs !!

So, any positive feedback and/or pricings?

I would spend a few hours looking but doing it on a 47kb dialup connection leaves me wanting to break something!

ta muchly

Pipex 512/256 is about £23 a month (unless they are overcharging me! ), the cheapest 512 connection Ive since seen is BT which are now doing it for £20 a month.

Chris

BT's £20 a month only lets you upload/download a max of 1gb per month,

A load of pants unless you hardly ever use the geeknet IMO

I use the £27pm bt option too.  Never had an outage or problem.  1 gig a month is useless - I'd use that in 2 days.

Cor, I think I'll stick to the 27 quid jobbie then.

I've had a few irritations with their service possibly due to them changing my Ip addy or maybe just my ethernet/ADSL modem needing a reboot. A reboot *does* always solve the problem but it's a pain if I'm at work connecting into home and had remembered to write down that days IP addy.

Ah sorry, didnt realise the BT £20 option had limits. My Pipex at £23 still seems like a decent deal then  :t-up:

v7slr, cant you use something like dyndns to allow you to connect even when your IP changes?

Chris

Ntl 600k at 23.99 per month, but don't under any circumstances sign up to anything else with ntl they are total W£$%^RS and have completly ruined any credit rating i had.  Long story,

Karl

I'm with Nildram and they've been fantastic for the 18 months I've been with them. I'm on the DSL500 Classic package which is £22.99/month. They've got a comparison table here

Cheers

Andy

You're havin a Giraffe aren't ya?  :suspect:

nope, been with them for about 7 years and had maybee 2/3 problems in that time, they where only silly little ones.  :t-up:

Im not suprised youve been with em for that long, once you've installed AOL you're with em for life cos I'm bu@@ered if you get the bl**** thing fully uninstalled from a PC!  :bangshead:

Seriously though, AOL is OK in an all cosseting type way, but IMO if you like to control things yourself and want to decide what you do / don't see from the ISP then AOL is not a good choice.

Chris

remembered to write down that days IP addy.

V7slr - go to No Ip.com and download their free service.  Really good program, small, no spyware etc and gives you a nice substitution for a non static ip address.  All it does is update their server with your current IP address when you boot the computer, and then they re-direct all calls to the url you selected to your current ip address.  Takes about 5 mintues to update after you switch your machine on. :t-up:

£23.44 a month Pipex jobby for me too :t-up:

Had it for over 2 years now, with zero problems. In fact the only problem I had was with an exchange engineer who downgraded my line from ADSL because he wasn't paying attention. Tit.......