Which Westfield

Rob_the_Sparky

Can anyone give me an idea on the model history of Westfields and what to look out for when buying?

I'm on a fairly modest budget but seems like older Pinto engined Westfields are available at a reasonable amount of money, judging from your "For Sale" area.  I was looking at Caterham 7s but the entry level prices are rather too high for my budget (wife!;).

An on-line history of Westfield model changes would be great but any info would be appreciated.

Cheers

Rob

Where's my manners?

Welcome :)

I saw your posting over on Blatchat. Whoever it was who said "Get a Westfield" was spot on  :0

(That'll get the Blatchat lurkers in a bit of a froth.....)

Welcome indeed. :t-up:

Where in the country are you? A good way of getting an introduction to all things Westfield would be to get along to your local area meet. In these days of fine weather you're sure to see a number of examples of the various types of car.

Andy

I'm in Reading, Berkshire - been on blatchat for a while and joined the club but have found Caterham prices a bit too rich for me to get past the wife.  Met a friend of a friend who said forget Caterham, others are available for more sensible cash.  Westfields seemed like the obvious car to take a look at and I liked the look of the prices in the For Sale section!!

Into Pug 205s at the moment but lust for some rear wheel drive fun.  Trouble is when you are used to 205 prices everything else looks expensive!

Rob

Not a million miles from me, I live in Swindon, work in Newbury.

Reading would put you in the Thames Valley area. Take a look under the 'Local Events' section of the main WSCC web site for more info.

Not sure when their area meet is, hopefully it'll be on the web site.

Andy

Thames Valley is second Sunday of the month. However, next month quite a lot of us will be at Le Mans. Next best place in the next few weeks would be the Curborough event, on the 19th & 20th of June. You'll not see more Westfields in one place until next May's Stoneleigh event.......

Alternatively, if you're prepared to travel, there's also the following areas that aren't a million miles from you:

Chelt, Glos and North Wilts (meet just North of Cirencester this Thursday)

Chiltern Sevens (not sure when / where they meet, Mark?)

Hants and Wiltshire (again, not sure of date / venue of meet).

Andy

AD Thanks,

Chiltern 7's meet the second Thursday of each month at Charney Bassett near Wantage. Check link below for directions etc etc etc.

We have most variations of westy's turn up and the odd Caterham.

Mark - that looks hopeful, I'll try and make the 10th.  Nice to see an everybody welcome (e.g. all variations) type meet.

Anybody got any model info?  I see wide body/narrow body, SE/SEi.  I can guess the meaning of the first but he second?

Also pre-lit?

Rob

Wide body approx 4 inch wider internally.

SEi is independant rear end

SE live axle

Rob can bring the Wesfield book along to meet if you want.

Newer cars are (I think) all called 'SE' or 'SEi' (and are wide bodied). However, when Westfield were still producing the two chassis variants, there was also 'SEW' (quite rare) and 'SEiW' (to explicitly signify wide bodied cars).

The full range is basically:

Pre-lit - The 'original' Westfield, before the litigation with Caterham. I think these are similar in terms of dimensions to narrow bodied cars

SE - Narrow bodied, live axle

SEi - Narrow bodied, independant rear suspension

SEW - Wide bodied, live axle

SEiW - Wide bodied, independant rear suspension.

I would imagine once you get around the 6' mark (in height) you should really be considering a wide bodied car for the extra length and width you get in the cockpit. I'm 6'2", and could just drive an SE, but I fit fine in my SEiW.

Andy

Rob we also have a member who brings his very nice Pre-Lit along.

Also fitting depends on the seats that you have fitted.

:D  :D

I'm 6'0 so I guess either is an option but think the wife would prefer the wide body!

Ouch!! Presumably she doesn't read this board :D