• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

pop ups

neo

anyone got any ideas on this,

computer while surfin every few minutes i get a 4 inch square grey box with MESSENGER SERVICE in the blue banner and a load of writing in the grey bit, usually saying b*****k* like hi skinny bloke its fat bloke, then visit www.stopmessenger .com etc etc i cant find out where there coming from or how to stop them. its only since ive gone onto windows XP as far as im aware. any ideas poeple :(

It's basically Spam. What OS are you using?

It's possible you have some kind of trojan or virus installed, do you have an up to date virus scanner?

If it's Nt / 2000 / XP, there's a service you can disable. Can't rembmer the name of it though.

Andy

Tried this. I've got office 2000. Clicked "start" then Programmes...but then I have no Admin tools icon. What do I do now then. I too am plagued by grey boxes....mostly from some Brazilian bloke looking for british male friend.....Oh no ...not me Mister!!

Scott,

Assuming your running XP, try Start, control panel, administrative tools, services, then follow the rest of the steps in the doc.

greg

I give up. Ive done what is says on the link AND THERE STILL COMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :arse:

If it is not the messenger service causing you problems (the best way to stop the messenger service is a personal firewall etc...) then it is probable that you have unwittingly installed some adwere software from a website.

this is software that will run on startup and download web page adverts and pop them up on your PC.

the best way to get rid of these is to check out your system registry for programs that are started by the system at start up. This is a bit techy and could screw your PC (dont blame me) but:

1. run regedit

2. navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

3. navigate to SOFTWARE

4. navigate to MICROSOFT

5. navigate to Windows

6. navigate to CurrentVersion

7. navigate to Run

in here you will see keys for items started at system startup. look in here for a key with adware, gatorware or similar and remove the key. Note many viruses also use this registry hive to start themselves up on system startup.

HTH,

ACW.

:cool: ....I had the same probelm and got rid of it by downloading AD-AWARE
]

Seconded for ad-aware (freeware software).  :)

This is an absolute necessity IMO and has fixed 100% of my pop-up probs. Just run now and again and it will clear them and generate a log file for you.

Mike