Just got my reg form through

karlgurney

Just got my V5C for the westy didn't expect it to be A3 size, on the front at the bottom it says;

3. Special Notes

1. Non-transferable reg mark

2. Rebuilt- Made from parts

3.SVA Cert issued 26 04 2004

Emission limit

% CO 4.5; HC 0.12

I'm ok about about 1 and 2 but why does it have emission limits i thought it was a visible smoke test only, i proved the age of the engine to SVA and DVLA as being a 1983 pinto.

Is this right or am i getting worried about nothing?

Karl

I thought we knew that they'd started putting emissions limits on the V5 (or were we only expecting them for 'new' reg cars, not 'Q' plates)?

Andy

At first MOT time, I'd have the V5 with you, just in case, but I wouldn't be thrusting it into the testers hands just yet.....

If the MOT fella asks about emissions, tell him, "kit car on a Q plate mate. I thought that was visible smoke test only". See what happens. If he checks the MOT manual, that should confirm that, so no worries. If he's clued up, he may ask for the V5 as proof..... good luck!

% CO 4.5; HC 0.12

HC limit is a load of b******s AFAIK.

HC normally of the order of 1,200 aren't they?

Not to sure all i remember is the limit on my old car (Breg 2.8 supra) was 1200ppm (does this mean parts per million) and that was well within limits even though some of the valve stem seals were worn,  

*Sidetrack mode off*

But i still thought that kit cars were not tested, i looked at the vosa website and it quotes

ITEM 2

Emissions Testing Kit Cars and Amateur Built Vehicles first used on or after 1st August 1998

(Classes III IV & VII)

These vehicles are required to obtain Single Vehicle Approval (SVA) and will receive an emissions

test at SVA. All petrol and gas propelled kit cars or amateur built vehicles first used on or after 1st

August 1998 (S Registration Onward) are subject to the BET test, followed if necessary by a ‘cat

test’ to default values. The only exemption to this is where evidence is supplied by the presenter to

confirm a lesser test is required i.e. age of engine or the emission standard applied at SVA.

Compression Ignition powered kit cars and amateur built vehicles will also be meter checked.

So does this mean i will qualify for an emisions test but only at 1983's standards.

Karl

p.s nearly at 200 posts come on my son!! LOL :D

You qualify for emmissions tests at the level stated on the V5. However, as it's a Q, I'd try for a visible smoke test, and wait for thje MOT man to argue.

1200ppm is indeed 1200 parts per million, or 0.12%..........