Converting to electric fuel pump. Pinto.

SteveRST

Hi guys,

I'm soon to fit a Facet electric pump and Filter King pressure regulator to replace the mechanical fuel pump on my 2.1 Pinto.

Do I actually remove the mechanical pump? If so, what do I fit in its place to blank it off? Or would I just block off the inlet & outlet from the mechanical pump and leave it where is?

Only on day 6 of Westy ownership, but the upgrades are beginning!    :D

Cheers,

steve

What's the problem with the mechanical pump?   Facet have been known to be unreliable, so if the mechanical one supplies enough fuel, I'd leave it well alone.

My Pinto has an electric pump but the old pump is still in place. ??? Never thought it might be a problem. :0

Neil - previous owner advised me that mechanical pump is struggling to cope. Engine is making approx 155 bhp although fueling at the top end is not all it could be.

I have ordered a Facet interupter 'silver top' fast-road pump. Have heard about the unreliability issues in the past but have also heard these have been sorted out now.

steve

I have an ally blanking plate if you want it, my engine is about 175 bhp and running with a silver top. if you want the blanking plate drop me a mail with your address and I'll send it off to you.  :D

Blackshadow - Cheers! :)  You have a BB message.

Have recently removed the mechanical fuel pump from my Xflow - got an aluminium plate + 1/4 inch thick gasket from 105speed - when I fitted it the plate buckled slightly and just wouldn't seal. Got a steel one from Vulcan, and tried a thinner gasket (as the thick one had split slightly as I tried to tighten it to stop the weep of oil I was getting) - and am still getting a slight weep - anybody any bright ideas - I tried tightening the plate to the correct torque for the fuel pump bolts (from Haynes) but this was really low - and didn't make a good seal at all

Well, I'm on my second Red Top in less than a year, so I'd say reliability was still an issue.

If you need one though, there's no getting round it I guess.

I have 172 bhp on 45's with a pressure regulator and run a mechanical pump with no problems for the last 8 odd years.