best place for ram pipes

westy666

After some long ram pipes for my 40's.  

Currently have rusty 45mm could do with something along the lines of shiny 60mm.

any recommendations?

thanks

:t-up:

I think, long for power, short for torque (bl**** Smernoff)

Other way round.  Short ram pipes work best with high revving engines and can free up a few peak bhp, longer ones can help improve torque.

But to be honest with a relatively standard engine you'd be hard pressed to notice much difference.

Hi Nick M

Good to here from you and I hope you and your family are well.

The reason I put my post was from my Can-Am experience during the '60's (Lola chassis running Chevrolet power).  I do believe the 9" rams on the engine was to give more BHP but I will stand to be corrected.

Best regards

Bob

Hi Bob,

I think it probably depends on the way the whole inlet system works though, i.e. what works with one engine may not work with another.  As well as factors such as the cams being used and the location of the injector / carb.

You can, as I think Matt Seabrook found, increase power and torque with a longer induction tract but I'm not sure if he added longer ram pipes too.  Although SBD told me that with longer ram pipes on my engine I could increase torque (and power) compared to the "standard" ones.

Maybe with the big Can Am engines this was what was happening because a) the induction route into a V8 can be a little convoluted and b) they typically didn't run really high revs.  Plus I imagine the amount of air they flow has a part to play - the size of valves in merkin V8 race engines is quite scary !!  And didn't they use different length ram pipes for different cylinders ??

I think Dave Vizard's A Series book has quite a good explanation of how and why different length ram pipes have different effects.

Nick, I think (but I might be wrong!!;) that the different length ram pipes on those Can-Am motors were to give equal total induction lengths, because the passage lengths in the manifold were different. (I seem to remember when I saw one in bits but it might be my brain going all wrong again!!;) The pipes inside the standard plenum chamber on a Rover V8 injection are like this too!

thanks chaps, interesting reading as always :)

was looking for longer pipes as I'd read somewhere the zetec preferred them when on dcoe's / tb's.

Agree from what ive read better gains to be had once the engine is moving up towards 200 bhp although some of it just comes down to plain old posing for me

:D