• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

SVA test

Glen_I

Right everyone, ready to book test tomorow, How long do you all think it could take from time the letter goes in post till time i have a fully legal car, i realise theres a number of factors that could hold things up, and assuming i get a pass first time ???   Got a panic on as i am getting married on July 17th and thats my wedding car :cool:

What order should i do these things, is there anything i should be doing or getting ready whilst i wait for appointment??

Has anyone had a early appointment by going for out of hours test??

I know its all a bit long winded.....

Thanks Glen.

Best of luck Glen...seems like everyone around here is getting married!

Andy (married on April 8th).

Depeding on how busy the SVA centre is then you'll prob hear back in 2 weeks, then the test a week or 2 after that, with any luck you can pop down your local VRO straight after SVA and get it registered.

Oh, when I booked a retest I phoned the SVA station on monday and had a test for thursday so you should be able to get in nice and early.

Good luck  :D

Cheers Andy.

Leon, so hopefully 4-6 weeks?????

That sounds like a long time to me, but then I've never had to go through it :)

Have you tried phoning the SVA test centre? Perhaps you can 'jump the queue' somehow?

Andy

Yea I'd say so, that from my experience but they're all different.  When I sent the SVA form off I got a another form sent through in a week then a phone call 1 weeks later, they then told me the date I had requested was fine, SVA was 2 weeks after that.

Does that make any sense? lol :p

U cant jump the queue because you have to go through VOSA who then pass it on to the test station you requested.

Ah, ok.

Well, there goes that theory :)

I did say I'd never been through it ;)

Hope you get it sorted in time Glen.

Andy

Have to wait and see i guess...... Its just a thought but i was wondering if anyone is ever near Andover, Hants area would they like to pop in and cast a eye over things just in case i have overlooked something??

Glen.

Beers will be included of course!!!

Good luck Glen, i'm also using my car for My wedding in july on the 31st, i applied for SVA on 16th april and got a date through for the 19th May however i told them i was working that day (i was honest)and luckly they had a free slot on the 26th april.  Passed first time very happy, next day took all the forms to local dvla office (oxford)and booked an inspection at bicester for tomorrow morning 4th May, i'm very hopeful that the car will be on the road by the end of the week aparently once the dvla inspector is satisfied that the engine no/chassis no match the documents you've given then they will try and process it asap, i will wait and see,

Good luck again for the wedding and the car.

Karl

I got my SVA AND DVLA inspection done on the same day but had to wait almost 3 weeks for the final paperwork to come through to get my plates.

You should be sorted before your wedding though so don't panic quite yet.

Tigger

Watch out for the DVLA, they're a right laugh. My lot messed around doing nothing for three weeks, until I chased them, at which point they told me I'd not given them a receipt. Sorted that out same day, they then tell me that although they could now register the car, the month cover note I originally supplied had run out so I needed a new one before they progressed.

I'd suggest ringing round a few and finding out how long it normally takes them. I since heard that Shrewsbury for example do it the same day.

Graham.

Graham, When you say you had not given them a receipt, was this for a component on the car??? I have not got receipts for everything (diff and gearbox) is this going to be a problem??

Glen.

The receipt I had not given them was actually the receipt for the engine, basically I'd bought the engine for next to nothing, simply because it was the right age for my emission requirements and then had it completely rebuilt. I had a heritage certificate for the age and all the rebuild receipts, didn't think I'd need the one for the original engine purchase as it doesn't actually prove anything.

I just spoke to the guy I'd bought the engine from (2 years earlier) and told him the situation, he was happy to help out so I printed out a receipt and sent it to the DVLA. They never checked with him, or at least they havn't yet. I believe I could have put anything on a piece of paper and they'd have been happy!

Not sure if you need them for gearbox or diff but I'd be inclined to get a 'receipt'  just to be safe. If you bought it from a mate, just a piece of paper with your mates address, the component name and the amount you paid should be fine, was for me, my engine receipt was not signed, just a statement of fact.

Graham.